X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel (advice please)

Hi guys,

I need some advice please from the knowledgeable guys out there,

I have had a few strange rattles & noises on my motor recently, As I have the mechanical aptitude of Mr Bean I took it to the Guy I use for servicing etc: He is a straight guy and I trust him.

He took it for a test drive & put it on the ramps etc and he thinks that the Flywheel is going, I realise that this is going to cost me an arm & a leg, but I don't want to get rid of the motor and can't afford to change it.

Had a look at the Roughtrax flywheels £500+ is this the going rate, don't really want to use Milners as I have had a Rad from them in the past and it was useless.

Would it be viable to fit a second hand one if one of the breakers had one?

Sorry to waffle on but I need to make a decision fairly quickly as I am due to take the Caravan south again in a fortnight and would like to sort it before then.

Sorry did not mention, it is a L Plate 3l Auto.

Any advice as always would be greatly appreciated.
    Entered this world with nothing, ain't got much of it left.

Doesn't seem like it's anything to do with the flywheel to me from your description and from your previous posts.

Is the noise still there with the transfer lever in neutral?
    Does it still drive ok and change gears normally, including overdrive?

EDIT: I see you have an auto, in which case you won't have a flywheel!
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 14 July 2010, 13:45.

Comment

Hi Bushwacker,

He was talking about a Dual Mass Flywheel?

As I said I have extremely limited mechanical knowledge and this is way above my head!

The noise is coming from the Bell Housing area, the car drives well but there is a bad 'metallic' rattle under acceleration, usually when pulling away from junctions etc, the only way to get rid of it is to put my foot down!

The car drives well and goes through the gears as normal, this noise is getting worse by the day and is driving me mad, I really need to get it sorted before we take the van away again.

Any ideas anyone, getting desperate now, are there any of the local experts available to have a look and give me their opinion,

Any help with this would be appreciated,

Thanks Guys,

Mark.

Comment

Automatics don't have the dual mass flywheel, they have something similar called a flexplate or driveplate.

It could be something simple like.........

Loose heat shield on the exhaust downpipe.
        Very worn, loose or broken engine mount causing things to touch.
        Exhaust mountings.
        Another cause could be that a bolt has come loose from the torque converter and is rattling around in the bellhousing.

One thing it definitely is NOT is the 'dualmass flywheel'.
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 14 July 2010, 19:22.

Comment

Thanks Bushwacker, will give him a bell tomorrow and get it back in for another look.

Comment

do you have a manual or auto , because the symptons you are saying def sound like a dmf breaking up but as bushy says autos dont ave them
            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
              do you have a manual or auto , because the symptons you are saying def sound like a dmf breaking up but as bushy says autos dont ave them
              Originally posted by Baldy 69 View Post
              Sorry did not mention, it is a L Plate 3l Auto.
              Auto
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i would def find another garage then.
                JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                  i would def find another garage then.
                  Yep, me too. He may be be the most trustworthy guy on the planet; but not knowing that an Automatic has no flywheel, makes him a sh1t mechanic.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If its a tinny rattly sort of sound on acceleration then it could be the torque converter drive plate is cracked.
                    ionic SURFactant

Comment

Thanks Steve, that is the sound, is this an expensive Job?

Comment

Should be around £40-£60 pounds for the torque converter drive plate from memory, the gearbox will have to be removed so that will be the expensive part labour wise, or some places prefer to remove the engine to replace it depends on the fitters preference.
                        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Steve, I assume that this would be a main dealer part not a Roughtrax / Milners part then,

It is booked for Weds to be stripped down, fingers crossed, thanks for the help guys, will update later next week.

Comment

Quick Update

Motor went in yesterday, turned out to be a loose Exhaust Heat Shield, sorted for 1/2 hour Labour:

Also had Engine flushed, oil & filter change, Gearbox Oil, New Belts, Air filter and all Shafts etc greased. Total price £ 235,

Well happy, Thanks for all the advice guys, will sort my subs out now ASAP

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...99&postcount=4

How much did I earn then?

Comment

Working...
                              X