Probable head failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable head failure

Dr Anglegrinder's found exhaust gases in my coolant so it's likely that I'll be shelling out for a new head in the next few days ...

So what else should be considered for replacement - the cam belt's obvious but given that the engine's done just shy of 100k miles would it be worth replacing the glow plugs and injectors ?

Any other suggestions ?

What are the pro's and con's for a Roughtrax head as opposed to a Stevo ?

I would have asked Tony but I'd rather not stop him working cos I want the Surf sorted !

PS
    The curling tongs are fine as neither Jackie or I have enough hair to make use of them

Life is too important to take seriously !

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post
    Any other suggestions ?

I can't possibly fit you in until october.

Comment

Great idea Vince but I've got three kids that will be 18 in November so I'm not going to have any cash then either !

Comment

If your truck was starting and running fine before I would save your money and keep your glow plugs and injectors.

Obviously get a head gasket set though.
        If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

When I did mine I replaced the water pump, radiator, all hoses, thermostat , rad cap, glow plugs. If you're a bit flush recon injectors would be a good choice. I also re-filled the viscous fan oil to make sure it was working good.

My Roughtrax rad has just started weeping after 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            When I did mine I replaced the water pump, radiator, all hoses, thermostat , rad cap, glow plugs. If you're a bit flush recon injectors would be a good choice. I also re-filled the viscous fan oil to make sure it was working good.

My Roughtrax rad has just started weeping after 2 years
            New or re-conned?

My new R/T rad is coming up to four years old and is fine.

Comment

The rad and cap aren't that old and Tony looks after it so it's in pretty good nick mechanically (Bodywork's cr@p !). I'll put a thermostat on the list but this thread is about getting advice on the glow plugs and injectors cos I'm clueless !

I'm certainly not flush but if we're going to do the job then I'd rather do it properly and skimp on the kids 18th birthday ...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                New or re-conned?

My new R/T rad is coming up to four years old and is fine.
                `

New.

Comment

I'll put a thermostat on the list but this thread is about getting advice on the glow plugs and injectors cos I'm clueless !

Sorry the bit where you asked 'any other suggestions ? ' made me post that reply....

Definitely do the glow plugs if they haven't been changed in the last 18 months or so. If the truck was running fine before then use the old injectors, just be aware that they are getting on a bit and probably not in their best shape... If you do a search I'm pretty sure you'll find a fair few recommendations to change them at 100,000kms (I'm sure I've read that several times here when searching about injectors)

If I was really flush for cash I'd do the piston rings and main / big end bearings aswell..

Comment

My bad - I wasn't particularly clear ...

All suggestions welcome but I'm a long way from being minted !

Comment

My bad - I wasn't particularly clear ...

All suggestions welcome but I'm a long way from being minted !

No worries - I did my 2.4 head 2 years ago and I think I'm still paying Barclaycard back for the pleasure........

Comment

Leave the injectors for now, it runs and starts fine. I always test and replace any duff glow plugs when swapping them to new head, and injectors soak in redex over night, the water pump seems fine, there is no lack of circulation and its quiet and solid to spin.

Fan hub always gets topped up and adjusted to.

Honstly I doubt it needs to much more then the head kit price, don't worry about it to much.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that Tony !

So is it Roughtrax or Stevo ...

And why aren't you working ???

Comment

LOL,

Stevo has been only using Genuine Toyota heads for a while now cos he had a good supply of them, but I know he's having trouble getting them recently and using UK Toyota dealer supplied heads make them to expensive to justify

Not had any hassles from either place, and used lots from both, I tend to Stevo first, then R/T if he can't get one out in a day or so.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony !

Do your records show when you changed the cambelt ? I can't find all your invoices ATM and I was wondering about the tensioner ...

Comment

Working...
                              X