Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..And now it wont start !

Could someone please help?
    My missus was out the other day and rang me saying the surf was cutting out and stalling. When I got to her the surf started but only went 20 yards or so before cutting out. FUEL FILTER I thought and managed to get the truck home by knocking it into N and starting on the key for about 3 miles till I got home.
    Anyway new filter on and wont start. Primed pump until plunger hard. Still no go. Loosened off injector feed pipe and cranked....no fuel ejected?
    Found a 30A fuse near drivers leg labelled IGN had blown. Replaced
    fuse..Still no go.
    Put old fuel filter back on and re-primed until plunger firm. Still nothing.
    Checked all other fuses....gave up.

Could someone please suggest something I may have missed as I am utterly fed up mauling around and getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel in the tank?

Try removing the fuel cap and see if it runs.

Comment

Tried it mate and blown back down fuel line to see if it was blocked.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I am at a loss...

Comment

Is it and if so how possible to bleed the fuel pump??
        Just a thought.............

Comment

sounds like a problem with the spill contol valve, check the fault codes, then check for voltage at the plug, sohuld be around 2-5 volts across two of the pins. If no power its usually a ECU problem.

If you can get it out, remove it and crank the engine, to prove fuel is getting to the valve. If fuel comes out, and you have power to the plug, deffo the valve.

If no fuel there, then on the side of the rear cover of the fuel pump is another sensor, take this out and behind it is a small gauze filter, clean this out, crank it again to prove you have fuel to this bit, then so then try getting fuel at the spill control valve hole again.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony. Will have another look.
            Last edited by Ricksurf; 28 June 2010, 07:43.

Comment

Doin my head in now

I left the battery off overnight and now it fires up first turn and runs as it should but only for about 5 mins then stalled. It started again after repeated pumps on the primer (which had gone soft again) and is running as intended for now.
              Not had chance to clean out fuel pump gauze filter as its chuckin it down, but did break & make all electrical connections to fuel pump, thinking one may be dirty but saw nothing.
              I am beginning to suspect the primer pump for air leaks but it will pump solid.
              Can anyone suggest a way of testing it or maybe back up my diagnosis before I buy a new primer??
              Thanks.

Comment

Next Step

Codes read and no fault evident. O/d off and engine check lights flash continuously. Thimble filter inside fuel pump clean as a whistle, but no click herd or felt from spill valve when unplugged/plugged back in with ignition on... Could this indicate it is duff and can it be cleaned or easily replaced if so???
                Last edited by Ricksurf; 29 June 2010, 21:18.

Comment

Just a thought, but have you checked all the fuel lines back to the tank are in good condition, in case it is ocasionally drawing air. Also, I had a Landrover once which had a lump of fluff in the fuel tank, which would get sucked up and block the standpipe every few miles...
                  3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but fuel pipes all ok and blown down them with compressed air. Now very easy to suck fuel from tank.

Checked voltage across spill valve terminals = 1.85v
                    Checked voltage from each wire to spill valve = Both read 11.65v to earth

This leads me to suspect spill valve gunked up/jammed closed or completely knackered.

Suggestions/backup on this theory would be much welcome.
                    Thanks again.
                    Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X