oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure

when my truck is warm the oil pressure is just off the rest point at tickover, when reved it goes up to to just past the first mark

what quality oil is recommended for the 3.0.

were in the engine is the oil pump and is it possible to repair/replace it with the engine in situ?

is there supposed to be an oil warning light on the dash at ignition on?
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

my old 3.0l was exactly the same with the oil pressure.The oil pump is in the sump as far as i know
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      my old 3.0l was exactly the same with the oil pressure.The oil pump is in the sump as far as i know
      your the reason im concerned, especially as it has a new head.

was wondering is the pressure held up by the pump and ifso is it reconditionable (still cannt sepl)

Comment

my truck was well abused and neglected in the servicing department John.I would say you would probably have to drop the diff to get the sump off and then flush the engine to get rid of any crap in the sump and pump
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Do you know what oil is in there now John?

Semi-synthetic will always give a low pressure reading, in Surfs anyway.
          Also, if the oil is very old it'll lose it's viscosity and lubricating properties and give a low reading too.
          For Surfs with more than 100k miles I would use 10W40 semi-synthetic for the best protection.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Do you know what oil is in there now John?

Semi-synthetic will always give a low pressure reading, in Surfs anyway.
            Also, if the oil is very old it'll lose it's viscosity and lubricating properties and give a low reading too.
            For Surfs with more than 100k miles I would use 10W40 semi-synthetic for the best protection.
            i know whats in there at the mo and its not good, i put cheap mineral oil in after doing the head as it was only going in there for a few hundred miles, well thats done now so its flush out time and put something decent in. like mobil1 or similar but wanted to ask you experts whats best.

is there a sender for the oil pressure switch, could it be faulty/bad connection and if there is one were would i find it?

Comment

Using a fully synthetic oil in your engine is pointless. 10W40 Semi Synthetic, as Vince said, is what you need. I buy mine from Costco, £25(ish) for 20L.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

cheers guys 10/40 semi it is then. job for the morning local factors, flush,drain and fill
                cheers again

any ideas on the sender/switch?

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                  cheers guys 10/40 semi it is then. job for the morning local factors, flush,drain and fill
                  cheers again

any ideas on the sender/switch?
                  Don't know where it is on the 3.0, but on the 2.4 it's on the driver's side of the block near the oil filter.
                  So I guess the similar location on the 3.0. It'll have one wire attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Don't know where it is on the 3.0, but on the 2.4 it's on the driver's side of the block near the oil filter.
                    So I guess the similar location on the 3.0. It'll have one wire attached to it.
                    i'll have a looksy tomorrow wilst changeing the filter, i may post a picture of it

Comment

Your oil pressure is fine (according to the manual). There are three ticks or lines on the oil pressure gauge. According to my manual, when idling you should be between the L and the second line on the gauge. Normal driving would have you between the first line and the second line.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...nersManual.pdf

Page 36 of the manual.

When warm and idling I am half way between the low and the first line. Running on the highway I am barely past the first line unless under heavy load. Unless your engine is giving you signals your pressure is low, I wouldn't be concerned.

Comment

Our truck reads like that, even after a bottom end rebuild after spinning a bearing.

As long its stable, I wouldn't worry to much, its sudden changes in oil pressure that spell doom. As said above, it still within tolerances on gauge.

The pump is in the timing gear housing, its quite a job to get out.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine is exactly the same. Reads below first line when idling but only gets to just above first line when under load. Can't see anything wrong and its consistent so I'm not too worried.

Comment

I think the oil pressure sender is right side of engine near the front on a 3Ltr.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                            X