Exhaust Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Mod

Having just replaced the rear section on my exhaust, the centre section has now completely split, just behind the large round silencer. As a quick fix, I unhooked the entire back section of the exhaust and threw it in the back of the truck.

After driving around for a few days like this, I’ve found that fuel economy has improved, and the engine is making more power, presumably because the turbo is spooling quicker. Noise level has hardly changed, just being slightly throatier on boost.

Has anyone ever rigged up a section of flexi hose or similar? I’m thinking of running a section to exit just in front of the rear tyre. Anyone got any MOT- proof solutions?

Apart from avoiding the £110.00 cost of a new centre section, I like the improved power and economy.

Thanks for any advice.

my MOT bloke said as long as

a) he could get his probe into it
    b) it wasnt leaking
    c) it didnt exit at the passenger side

I could do what I liked with it!
    Theres plenty of people who have done the side exit - Apache did it THROUGH the rear quarter bumper I think!

I'd have thought you could get a length of stainless for that. Or as you say a bit of flex, but put a stainless end on it to direct the exhaust down and backwards.

lets have pictures when its done!
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
      my MOT bloke said as long as

a) he could get his probe into it
      b) it wasnt leaking
      c) it didnt exit at the passenger side

I could do what I liked with it!
      Theres plenty of people who have done the side exit - Apache did it THROUGH the rear quarter bumper I think!

I'd have thought you could get a length of stainless for that. Or as you say a bit of flex, but put a stainless end on it to direct the exhaust down and backwards.

lets have pictures when its done!

?????????

Comment

like wot I said....

He said any modified exhaust must exit to the drivers side or to the rear on the drivers side.

It could not exit on the passenger side, and if it was rear exit, it couldnt be where the standard surf exhaust already exits, as thats would send exhaust onto the pavement...

however, if you replace like with like, it can continue to exit rear passenger side....

well, thats what the MOT man said. And a bloke at the stainless exhaust place said much the same too.

Comment

They must have went to the same school then.

It's all b0ll0x what you've been told, it doesn't matter which side the exhaust exits on, as long as it doesn't leak at any of the joints and exits away from the vehicle.

Mine exits through the bumper on the passenger side, and when it was a 2.4 it exited just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Passed MOT every time!

Comment

well, that tellin' me then, isnt it. Why do people tell you stories do you think? just makes them look daft, then I repeat it, and I look daft. Well, i am daft, so that figures, but... well you know what I mean.

next time i see him, i'll tell him to stuff it up his exhaust pipe...!

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
              well, that tellin' me then, isnt it. Why do people tell you stories do you think? just makes them look daft, then I repeat it, and I look daft. Well, i am daft, so that figures, but... well you know what I mean.

next time i see him, i'll tell him to stuff it up his exhaust pipe...!

Everyone's a salesman!.

It's only on forums like this one that free advice is given.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                They must have went to the same school then.

It's all b0ll0x what you've been told, it doesn't matter which side the exhaust exits on, as long as it doesn't leak at any of the joints and exits away from the vehicle.

Mine exits through the bumper on the passenger side, and when it was a 2.4 it exited just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Passed MOT every time!
                anorak time
                just a note, every car on the road apart from those with twin exit pipes and specials, the tail pipe exits on the opposite side of the vehicle to the fuel filler cap side.
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                  anorak time
                  just a note, every car on the road apart from those with twin exit pipes and specials, the tail pipe exits on the opposite side of the vehicle to the fuel filler cap side.
                  So, bit of a pointless post then.

Every car on the road has a wheel on each corner, apart from Reliant Robins.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    So, bit of a pointless post then.
                    thats me the useless poster

Comment

so, why is that then, something to do with fuel spills onto tail pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                        so, why is that then, something to do with fuel spills onto tail pipe?

Don't know what the reasoning behind it is.
                        Maybe it's to do with exhaust routing away from the tank?

Comment

You can get smoldering embers out of the exhaust so I would assume when you pull away from the petrol station the tailpipe dosen't pass over the area where there could be spilt fuel, if that makes sense.

Hey I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong............but it makes sense to me.
                          If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback and information. Some very useful stuff here.

I'll have a llok under the car at the weekend. If the remainder of the centre section is in reasonable nick, I'll try and fab up a side- exit system. Photo's to follow.

I really don't want to lose my new found 'sports mode'. Anyone else experienced gains just from removing half the exhaust? It feels like I've had a remap on mine.

Comment

soory for bringing an old thread back from the dead. but just got back from mot and need new tailpipe, i asked about coming out the side and the guy told me the same, it can't come out onto the pavement(passenger side). might be a new thing, reckons if youve pulled over and theres a pram next to ya, babys covered in soot.

Comment

Working...
                              X