Comon Gearbox faults?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comon Gearbox faults?

Hey, im wondering if anyone else experiences problems with the Surf, it's a 3.0 diesel M reg 1995, basically its difficult to get into 3rd & 4th gears, physically the gear lever doesnt wanna go in all the way...

Anyone any idea's?

(im a mechanic by the way, just want peoples opinions to see if there's a quick fix or common problem)?

Cheers...

Dave.

No its not a common fault !!! selector forks maybe worn though
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Had a similar problem, turned out to be master clutch cylendar.

Comment

Mines sometimes feels a bit sticky changing from 2nd to 3rd,I thought Toyota manual gearboxes were almost indistructible(as posted by Elvie a while back)?
        Powered by ????

Comment

almost ...

I'd bleed the clutch with new fluid, failing that then change the bushing at the bottom of the gear shifter (£3), then change the slave, then the master, then I'd just put up with it until I had the balls to have the gearbox checked.

Are the restrictor pins on each side of the gearshifter hole on the top of the gearbox adjustable???

Comment

Mines sometimes feels a bit sticky changing from 2nd to 3rd,I thought Toyota manual gearboxes were almost indistructible(as posted by Elvie a while back)?

Helps if you change the oil now and then and don't do stupid things at high speeds but most gearboxes will outlast the engine and other mechanical components anyway.

The internal components of the R150/151 gearboxes are only slightly different to the ones in the W58 gearbox that is fitted to MA70 Supras. There are many modified Supras which put 200-400Kw through standard gearboxes on the road and in competition.

Comment

gearbox problem solved ! Tek note !

It turned out to be the plastic/ rubber bush inside the gearlever housing.
              Remove gearlever rubber and undo bayonet fitting to reveal a blue/ green bush which had broken up and gone into bits therefore stopping the gearlever from selecting the gears properly. . cost about £7 from toyota

Comment

Originally posted by poplarmotors
                It turned out to be the plastic/ rubber bush inside the gearlever housing.
                Remove gearlever rubber and undo bayonet fitting to reveal a blue/ green bush which had broken up and gone into bits therefore stopping the gearlever from selecting the gears properly. . cost about £7 from toyota
                Jim shudda remember that, he had the simular problem years back in the dark ages of the old forum. Told him to do the same thing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Jim shudda remember that, he had the simular problem years back in the dark ages of the old forum. Told him to do the same thing.

You pup, you didnt tell me bout the one this man is talking about - you told me bout the £3 one at the very bottom on the shifter ball and if you look up a few posts you'll find I did tell him about that one ... dammit I'm goin outside to take pics back in a few.....

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                    You pup, you didnt tell me bout the one this man is talking about - you told me bout the £3 one at the very bottom on the shifter ball and if you look up a few posts you'll find I did tell him about that one ... dammit I'm goin outside to take pics back in a few.....

hehe, thats funny, never considered the little cup at the bottem when we first discussed this, I was only ever talking about the lever pivot bushes!

But hey! it worked for you! hehe.

Just thought it was 'old boy memory loss'

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

the 'cup' and the bush inside which in mine is a flat black ring not the blue green one I've seen in my pickup gearlever unit !!!!!! ??????? !!!!

(the cup and the bush lol sounds like Ali G )

Comment

Working...
                      X