Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't it start?!!!!!

Hi guys

Any advice you could give would be very appreciated.

Ever since our alternator went in January, our 3.0td surf won't start in the mornings - once warm its fine, and once started its fine all day - the alternator is working fine now thanks to a replacement.

We've changed the glow plugs (twice), fitted huge batteries and changed fuses just in case.

Prior to the alternator going it was fine.

All the fuses are ok, there is a charge going to the glowplugs, the glowplug relay clicks as it should etc etc.

Also, how do we aleviate the black smoke on start up too?

Help!!!!!

Cheers

Daemo

Leak in the diesel pipes ? Try priming it with the button on top of the fuel filter (pump it til it goes hard..oooer missus! )

If it starts then you probably have a leak in the pipes or the primer itself.

Rob.

Comment

check your battery terminal connections, and check if BOTH batteries are 100% good (you can get duff ones from new...)

I had same issue, turned out to be a badly fitting battery connection, even though it all felt fine, it was not - I had to remove, clean and replace the connectors.

Remember how diesel works:

heat the chamber (glow plugs and batteries)
      squirt in the fuel (primer / filter / pump / injectors)
      compress FAST (starter motor and batteries head gasket)

If any of these are missing it will be hard to start.
      If glow plugs are fine, in my experience you are either not getting enough fuel to the cylinders or more likely not enough compression. you have to compress fast to put enough energy into the diesel to ignite it. What happens is you turn over too slowly, because batteries are a bit low or there is a bad connection and its leaking power, arcing etc, and the compression isnt quite enough to ignite the fuel. spinning the engine for a while warns it up, and eventually you get enough energy to ignite, and you are away, with tonnes of black smoke where the excess diesel is burning off...
      that would help explain why a warm engine fires first time.

TRY: letting the plugs heat up 4 or 5 times before starting - that somethimes helps -gets the temp up int he chamber...

If its a fuel filter issue (could be) then simply get a new filter (www.roughtrax4x4.com) and replace - simple job.

Get those batteries checked by testing the voltage as you turn the engine over - should be 11v min i think under load.

try removing one battery totally and see what happens, then swap.

Keep us informed!

Andy
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. No turnover whatsoever, it starts no problem with a jump from another car, then starts all day with no probs.

In the morning its completely flat again, ordered 2 new batteries which will be fitted in the next few days , hoping that will solve the problem, although there is quite a lot of corrosion on one of the terminals

Comment

make sure you clean the connection really well, and tighten it up properly.
          andy
          If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

check all your earth points to the engine and chassis,and starter motor remove clean and re fit as already been said.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

You could also check the alternater is charging properly, regulator could be duff even if it is new.
              If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonniebanks View Post
                I'm having the same problem. No turnover whatsoever, it starts no problem with a jump from another car, then starts all day with no probs.

In the morning its completely flat again, ordered 2 new batteries which will be fitted in the next few days , hoping that will solve the problem, although there is quite a lot of corrosion on one of the terminals
                This could well be starter motor contacts. The jump start means your starter sees 14.4v instead of <12v and is the extra urge the solenoid needs.

If your batteries are OK, I'd suggest the contact kit from Roughtrax will solve your problem.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Justbrad View Post
                  You could also check the alternater is charging properly, regulator could be duff even if it is new.
                  I dont think its the alternators, once the Surf starts I can disconnect both the earth terminals and the car remains running.

Well the batteries should be in by tomorrow. Had to jump start it twice today

Once with a neighbours Hyundai Accent, then the RAC

Comment

Just wondering if my post above is visible. I know I should have said 'when your batteries are OK, if you still have starting issues'

By the way, NOT advisable to disconnect both batteries when engine running. The resultant spike (known as a load dump) can damage things like ECUs.

Your engine will continue to run once started if you disconnect batteries (well, until they go flat). Disconnecting the batteries doesn't really prove anything.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Just wondering if my post above is visible. I know I should have said 'when your batteries are OK, if you still have starting issues'

By the way, NOT advisable to disconnect both batteries when engine running. The resultant spike (known as a load dump) can damage things like ECUs.

Your engine will continue to run once started if you disconnect batteries (well, until they go flat). Disconnecting the batteries doesn't really prove anything.

2 new batteries in and starting like a dream

Comment

So thats why it doesn't like starting then!?

Hiya

After much fiddling around with batteries, glow plugs, fuel lines, fuel filters etc etc.....

Whoever fitted the injectors last time buggered them up - causing a compression problem, which in turn has caused a head gasket leak (air, not oil or water).

So at least I know what the problem is now - not enough compression.

New head gasket going on in a week or so - anyone know the best place for replacement KZN130 injectors?

Regards

Daemo

Comment

Working...
                        X