Suspected Injector Pump Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspected Injector Pump Failure

I have a KZN185 and have been running on WVO with a twin tank set up for 18 months now. All was going well until today when I started losing power and check engine light came on. I have changed the inline filter and main filter and tried running on straight diesel and checked there are no blockages in the lines but problem persists - loss of power, smoke and check engine light. I suspect that the injector pump is on it's way out. The pump appears to be hardly drawing any fuel into the clear in line filter. Are these the usual symptoms of a faulty pump?

Thanks

Alistair

Pick up pipe filter in the tank may be blocked.
    Remove fuel filler cap, then remove the fuel supply line from the filter head and blow down it with an air line.
    If the truck runs better then you'll know the filter was blocked. If not then suspect the pump.

Comment

Thanks - I've tried running a line straight from a jerry can of diesel and problem still persists so looks like it is the pump. Can anyone recommend where to get recconditioned units?

Comment

if the 3rd gen pump is the same as the 2nd gen then i have a good pump just been taken out of my 2nd gen.£100 delivered next day for you
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          if the 3rd gen pump is the same as the 2nd gen then i have a good pump just been taken out of my 2nd gen.£100 delivered next day for you
          Different part number according to the EPC but both have same capacity. May be interchangeable though.

Nev

Comment

there is a little filter underneath the feul temp sensor on the side of the pump, near the back, check this first.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have removed the tank strainer and the line is clear. It is drawing fuel very slowly then just stops. If I turn off the engine, wait for a minute, then restart, I can sometimes get full power for a few seconds. I'm thinking there has to be a blockage beyond the external fuel lines and the fuel flowing back into the tank after tuning off gives a temporary respite.

Could you tell me what this filter looks like????

Cheers!!

Comment

Have a look here. The part is #22602:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_2203.html

Comment

Originally posted by yorta2 View Post
                  Have a look here. The part is #22602:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_2203.html

Thanks for that!
                  Just for future reference
                  http://img.partscat.ru/new/auto/L/87...bc48b18f13.png

Mine looks like its sorted now, I replaced the copper washers around the fuel inlet banjo.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil.a View Post
                    Thanks for that!
                    Just for future reference
                    http://img.partscat.ru/new/auto/L/87...bc48b18f13.png
                    That diagram is for the much older mechanical pump with boost compensator on top for a L series engine.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      That diagram is for the much older mechanical pump with boost compensator on top for a L series engine.

Nev
                      Oh, ok. So I must be looking at the wrong bit. Can you tell me where I should looking for this filter o9n the correct pump for a KZN185?

Comment

Under the fuel temperature sensor on rear passenger side of pump.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                          Under the fuel temperature sensor on rear passenger side of pump.

Nev
                          What does it look like? Or am I being too anal?

Comment

It looks like a sensor screwed into the pump with a wiring connector attached.

Nev

Comment

Heres the same one as mine....
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	mainsm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1254672

Is it the one connected to the grey plug in the middle? If so, does the cap flip off and how does it come out?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X