Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen 3.0TD -Massive Oil Leak

Hi all

I recently bought a '95 2nd gen Surf and until now it's been a great car, although I have only done ~700 miles in it. It's a second car so doesn't get regularly used. I've now hit a snag and would appreciate some guidance.

It's suddenly developed a huge oil leak. Following the oil being sprayed absolutely everywhere by the fan, I've cleaned up and found that it's literally pouring out from (apparently) behind the bottom 3 groove (crank?) pulley. That's where it's visibly pouring out - the source may be higher up.

The leak did not start following any particularly heavy use, I've not had it off road, and until it started to pour out yesterday it's not even been dripping. So strangely to my mind it's developed a significant leak very quickly.

I'm pretty car-capable so happy to get stuck in and try and fix it. However if there's a known / typical common problem or likely source then please would you let me know.

Many thanks
    Rich

Crankshaft oil seal - about £11 for decent Toyota one. Don't fit a cheap one - I did and ended up having to do it again after 3000 miles.

Rob.

Biggest problem you'll hit is holding the pulley when you put the crankshaft nut back on (need a big torque wrench to torque back up)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wishbone; 2 May 2010, 18:25.

Comment

Many thanks Rob - hopefully not a nightmare job then.

Toyota dealer for the seal, or is there a more recommended source?

Comment

Main dealer.

Comment

Replace the timing belt as it is probably covered in oil and consider doing the other belt components, cam, oil pump seal and water pump.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Replace the timing belt as it is probably covered in oil and consider doing the other belt components, cam, oil pump seal and water pump.

Nev
            Is a 3.0 Nev, the cambelt dosn't go round the crank. The waterpump is external too.

Tis only a remove pulley, hook seal out and replace it job.

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Crankshaft oil seal - about £11 for decent Toyota one. Don't fit a cheap one - I did and ended up having to do it again after 3000 miles.

Rob.

Biggest problem you'll hit is holding the pulley when you put the crankshaft nut back on (need a big torque wrench to torque back up)
            Rob, thats a pic of the rear crank seal....
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had planned to do all the belts while I'm in there, but it's reassuring that the cam belt may be ok as it has already been done.
              Many thanks for the help - fingers crossed!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Rob, thats a pic of the rear crank seal....

haha so it is.. I'll try and find the right pic give me a min.

Here we go :
                Attached Files
                Last edited by wishbone; 3 May 2010, 22:15. Reason: added pic

Comment

Working...
                X