Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running with a cracked head

Gidday,
    Just wondering what the consequences are of running with a suspected cracked head are?

Background to this is I took a run from home (Suffolk) to Wiltshire last year (June) and she overheated after about 200 miles. First time ever and I suspect it was the typical school boy error of not checking the coolant level. I filled the rad and the expansion tank with water and got to my destination and returned home without any further trouble.

Then in August I went down to Cornwall and back without any problems.

Then in November she went in for the MOT and I had the garage do a flush and replace the coolant (couldn't be arsed myself).

Been running fine all winter, then over Easter went down to Cornwall again - overheated on the way down and on the way back - both times after about 300 miles. System blowing steam back into the expansion tank which I'm assuming means the system is pressurized.

Once again I've filled her full of water and been running fine since without loss of water or any temp problems.

Oil pressure seems fine and no cross contamination - no water or steam loss through exhaust.

Can't afford to have her in the shop at the moment - so any hints, tips or the cold dark truth would be really appreciated.

Regards

Lol (kiwi)

try changing the stat, mine did exactly the same, tested the stat and it had failed, closed, no overheating or nothing just a steamy exhaust, new stat cured the problem. H

Comment

Working...
    X