Broken rear coil spring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken rear coil spring...

Hi - I've just noticed a crisp new crack at the base of the rear drivers side coil spring. Too enthusiastic in reversing up a steep rough gradient in 2 wheel drive with much wheel spinning and bouncing, I think..... No noticeable degrade in handling on road use, but obviously it needs to be replaced soon. Truck has a 2 inch lift, Rancho 5000 shocks (hard) and 285x16 tyres/wheels.
    I'm not sure if I need to buy and replace both rear springs to maintain match. Also uncertain about the work involved in compressing springs and extracting/replacing them. Will it require special springs with it being lifted 2" and how can I be certain that it's a 2" lift and not higher/lower than that? I only have the previous owners verbal on the lift. Are special tools needed (spring compressors)? How difficult is it for a diy job with average spannering skills?
    Any comments or suggestions on what might be involved will help and meantime, I'll run a search on this forum for what's involved in the repairs.

Thanks.....Keith
    Ahhh....skinned knuckles and heavy hammers...

You need a pair of +2" springs from Roughtrax, they come out easily-ish.

Jack the truck under the diff, axle stands under the chassis rails in front of the radius arm mounts, remove wheels, lower shock mounts, panhard rod, anti-roll bars links from chassis and also the bolt holding the brake pipe block to the axle.

Then lower the axle down on the trolly jack till its hanging on the radius arms.

Then usually you can lever the coils out, the broken one will come out easily.

New +2" coils normally go in without compressors, get someone to stand on the hub and force the axle down while you wriggle them in if they are tight.

Then you can just jack the axle back up, connect everything and its done.

Coils do break, especially Procomp ones, I've changed 3-4 in the past for people. but they do get a lot of stick.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony - that sounds reasonably straightforward, assuming no siezed nuts on shock mounts and the rods to be taken off.
      It'll be next weekend for the work, I think and I'm intending to continue using the truck locally over the next week with the cracked spring. Only short runs on the public road and very gently. The crack is on the spring flat, at the lower section where it locates into the axle cup, and it looks well seated still, so it should be ok to use with care.

Important lesson learned - use low ratio or 4WD when reversing up steep bumpy slopes.... my previous truck was a Discovery, with full time 4WD, so I rarely had any need to select extra drive/traction when reversing up that slope.

Cheers....Keith
      Ahhh....skinned knuckles and heavy hammers...

Comment

Or you could do what I did.

Jack and support truck, take off 1 wheel, use 2 pairs of spring compressors to shorten the spring enough to get it out. Do the reverse to fit the new spring and bung the wheel back on. Repeat for the other side.
        It did knacker one pair of the compressors but it was a lot easier than the 'proper' method!!

Thanks,

Ray.
        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
          It did knacker one pair of the compressors but it was a lot easier than the 'proper' method!!
          that is the proper way, but with man enough compressors ! But I'm usually changing shocks at the same time and doing other stuff so easier to just take it all apart.

And most people won't have them either.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X