Power steering pump seals question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump seals question

Have just taken my pump off and have stripped all the bits out of the rear of it. My pump is also leaking from the front (cog) and I can't find a way of disassembling it to replace the seals in the front half.

Do I need to remove the bit that surrounds the front cog, or is there a snap ring accesible from the rear ?

Will post some pics tonight when I get home.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Didn't you recently post this link, and does it not help? http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7037

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

He only replaced the rear seals - no worries though it's off now

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        He only replaced the rear seals - no worries though it's off now
        But you were spurred into action

Cheers, Nick

Comment

I only knew of that link as I'd been searching for info for a few days as my pump was leaking. Only found out it was leaking as I removed the front diff and a new oil patch appeared (haven't driven the truck since I bought it on new years day)

For anyone searching you can lever the shaft out of the front of the pump.. Use a pair of levers on the back of the cog.

Comment

That's gonna be useful for me cos that's the next repair I have to do,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Once you lever the shaft out how do you then swap the oil seal?

I have my pump semi dismantled on my cellar floor. I'm concerned about the apparent lack of o rings, might be why it's leaking but I can't see where they ought to go and can't see the point as the separating bits of metal are full of holes anyway.

As I see things, I need to remove the shaft, the gear and then the bearing, I hope then, I can swap the drive end seal prior to re build.

That's if I don't loose all the little vanes in the impeller and forget how it goes back together.

Sort of wish I'd never begun.

Comment

Stop Press!!!

As you correctly pointed out, the shaft will lever out. leaving the bearing on it which is held in place with the snap clip. The engine oil seal remains in the pump housing. This can be knocked out from the other side with a long thin screw driver.

Fitting a new one is done by finding a socket the same diameter as the external collar of the oil seal and gently tapping home until the noise changes.

The shaft can then be refitted gently so as not to damage the new seal. Once it's on its way this too can be tapped in slowly until the noise changes.

Refit the external snap clip, turn it over and think "OMG! can I remember where all them other bits go?" That's tonight's adventure.

Comment

Sorry mate missed this as I'm not getting notifications for some reason...

Glad you got it sorted - iirc the little vanes have a rounded edge on one side so need to go in a certain way.

Cheers,
                  Rob.

Comment

I believe it's all sorted and back on running now.

Just needs a test drive and top up. I think the biggest disaster (narrowly avoided) was the banjo union for the high pressure line whilst taking off. I got a long extension on my 17mm socket from above and tweaked for all I was worth until it began to move. Unknown to me it was the valve housing that had moved and I spent the next five minutes bending and misshaping the union against the engine. Amazingly it seems to have survived in its new shape.

No noticeable leaks so far so the object of the exercise seems to have been a success..

Comment

Working...
                    X