Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me a Surf! Found a leak...

Hi all,
    Just bought a 96 3rd gen Surf, love it to bits so far, had a 300mile trip back in it and it drove faultlessly. I have noticed a leak on the under side, can someone tell me what this is and what I need to fix it?
    It's the front drivers underside.

Thanks in advanced.
    Attached Files

If there is no oil above it, it's the steering rack seals.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      If there is no oil above it, it's the steering rack seals.
      Can't see any oil above, just seems to be coming from that big oil covered bolt on the picture. Where is the best place to get the seals from, Toyota?
      Thanks

Comment

If its not dripping everywhere, don't worry about it. That plug looks like it's setup at factory to a specific preload, you can't just take it out and put it back and may how the rack feels or wears if its not right.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi guys,

Looks like the clip is missing from the gaiter to me.

Gman.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Yeah, does look missing, perhaps a good cable tie, would sufice.
            The thick one's about 6 - 7 mm wide.

'vette

Comment

Those gaiters are just dust seals, nothing to do with the leak. I doubt they will have had any form of clip on them. But as always, I may be wrong...

Comment

mine does that too, dont loose enough to worry about it. TonyN cleaned mine up before the MMOT and it was fine. I think roughtrax do a replacement refurb rack not sure how much though,
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  Those gaiters are just dust seals, nothing to do with the leak. I doubt they will have had any form of clip on them. But as always, I may be wrong...
                  yeah, they are, but if the seal in end of rack is leaking, then it will come out of the gaiter after a bit.

But just putting a zip tie on the gaiter won't solve the problem if the seal inside is worn, it'll still leak and just fill up the gaiter.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It does look more like the leak is at that bolt though? If it's a seep, as opposed to a leak, I'd be tempted to ignore it too. Just give it a steam clean before the MOT (and a wipe round the corner from the station).

Comment

Just had another look and can confirm the clip is there, just has a good coating of oil, looks like the leak is just from the bolt, I've cleaned it up and will check in the morning to confirm.
                      It's going to bug me as it does leave drips on the drive. Is it really a case of swapping out the whole rack? (£295 from roughtrax once you return your one)
                      Has anyone tried taking nut thing out?

Comment

There's no seal around the area of that nut that the EPC lists. There is an o-ring and a seal in the top section with the pipes, between there and the bottom section. Clean it up and see if the leak could be between the top and bottom parts and running down.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                          There's no seal around the area of that nut that the EPC lists. There is an o-ring and a seal in the top section with the pipes, between there and the bottom section. Clean it up and see if the leak could be between the top and bottom parts and running down.

Nev
                          Whats the EPC ?!
                          I've cleaned off the top some more to help get a good look, i'll wait 'till tomorrow and see if I can tell where it's coming from.
                          Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Left this two days now, and it certainly ain't no drip! Hardly anything there in fact, so moral of the story... If you see something dripping, give it a good wipe and check it later!!
                            Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Working...
                            X