Oil warning light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil warning light?

During the time I've had my truck I can't say I've ever noticed an oil warning light when ignition is turned on before startup. It only occurred to me a few days ago and since then I've checked two other 3.0l trucks, which didn't have one either. Can anyone tell me if there should be one there please?

Thanks

Alan
    If at first you don't succeed,
    Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

They only have a gauge, don't they?

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev,

I was under the impression that the gauge indicated oil pressure, but the oil warning light (on most other vehicles anyway) indicated oil level. The van (Merc Sprinter) I drive at work every once in a while has both a gauge and light.

Alan

Comment

Most lights (older vehicles) were operated by a simple pressure switch and simply turned on when ignition was on and then when out as oil pressure built up. Some vehicles do have an oil level warning light as well which would operate if the level dropped but not the Surf.

Nev

Comment

Many thanks for your help Nev.

I was about to start stripping the clocks out to check for a duff bulb but it looks like you've saved me a job. I've got to admit that it did seem unlikely to me that three surfs (my own and two others) could each have the same fault.

Alan

Comment

You need a UK diesel 4Runner if you want a oil level light.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony,

I wouldn't say I feel particularly neglected not having one, just couldn't remember if I'd ever seen one or not.

Don't mind me, its an age thing. The wife recons I'm cracking up, and I'm starting to think she may be right for once.

Alan

Comment

Hehe, after all my years of ownership I never noticed the absence of a light. Much prefer a gauge anyway TBH. At least you can spot something going awry before its too late.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                X