Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey smoke

Can anyone help PLEASE.

My 95 3.0td auto is blowing grey smoke. It doesnt appear to be using oil, I've drained the tank and flushed it. Theres no cross contamination and its starts and drives OK except for everything behind disappearing in a grey fog.

Any suggestions welcome please

PS.
    Have read all the other posts about smoke, but mine only blows a quick puff of grey on start up and then clears on tickover, but put your foot down and everything in the rear mirror disappears. Oh and i've done the ecg mod too
    Last edited by ssrx; 1 March 2010, 21:46.
    Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Have you changed the filters recently as thatey can cause a bit of smoke.When you do the fuel filter before re-fitting it fill it right up with ATF the fit it.Take the truck out with OD off and ECT on and drive it like you stole it for a mile or so and see if that helps
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

change the thermostat n rad cap, mine was doing exactly as you described, I flushed the system and changed these parts and its stopped, I found the thermostat had failed, it still blows a puff of smoke on starting but no steam train when on the road now. Then there's always the cylinder head/gasket, which could also be the problem as these cars are reknowned for it. Hazzo

Comment

Thanx for the replies guys. Had a new head and complete cooling system fitted, changed all the filters, had injectors checked and all the fuel lines flushed. Still blowing clouds of grey smoke but NO oil loss !

HELP
        Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

hi ssrx

another cause of blowing grey smoke is a seal gone on the turbo. this usually means that oil is drawn into the turbo and pushed out with the exhaust, hence the grey smoke.

You would normally have some oil loss tho' so it might not be that.

Another thought, does it do this all the time and do you only use the truck on short runs, it could be steam caused by the condensation inside the exhaust being boiled off.

just a couple of thoughts

hawaii
          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Working...
          X