Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD engagement problem

HELP!!!!

I've had the flashing light prolem and found a pipe had come away from the 4WD engagement unit on the back of the transfer box.

I replaced the pipe hoping this would solve the problem. At first I thought the pipe was a vacuum pipe, but it appears to be just a breather from the transfer casing.

Anyway, the flashing 4WD lights were still flashing.

I decided to look inside the engagement unit and found a worm gear and wheel with metal circular tracks. The gear also has a torsion spring that I am not sure what it actually does. The end of the shaft is splined and fits onto a pinion gear that engages on a rack that I assume moves in and out of the transfer box engaging the 4WD.

I noticed that moisture had found its way into the unit and had caused a lot of aluminium oxide corrosion and caused the lubricating grease to go all yucky.

After cleaning all the components and regreasing them I realised the wheel needed to go back in a certain way, but I had not noted or marked the correct orientation.

I have tried replaceing the wheel back several different ways, but I get all sorts of nasty clunks and bangs. some positions dont even do anything.

And the lights still flashing.

Has anyone ever taken one of these units apart?
    And more importantly, does anyone know what way it goes back together?

PS: If anyone knows a surf mechanic in the south west then there could be some work coming their way, i've been down to Lee's autos (supersurf) but he has not had any experiences with 185's.
    ALSO i would be happy to drive and get my hands dirty if someone wants to help me out.

Cheers

Jon
    Last edited by jonnyhicks; 16 February 2010, 15:44.

Hope this helps.... IGNORE the red circle!!

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

hmmm

Thanks Alan, but my problem part is the transfer motor unit or transfer engagement unit ( not 100% sure what its called)

Comment

This may help (ignore the locker heading and look at the pics)

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/frontdifflocker.htm

Alan
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Not the part im having trouble with

Hi again Alan

The unit im having trouble with is facing backwards and mounted on the rear of the tranfer box where the rear prop shaft flange is.

Ive attached an image, not sure how to insert one in this post
          Attached Files

Comment

I hope you have more luck thin I did timing my actuator here is a link to the instructions http://gs157.photobucket.com/groups/t42/JEP5U3X44E/
            in the end I fitted another transfer box, the flashing lamp on mine turned out to be a broken wire to the front axle actuator switch.
            ionic SURFactant

Comment

HI there

Once you put the breather pipe on that you see in your picture, where does this pipe go to?

I have the same problem and am trying to work out why the 4wd won't engage. Used in a lot of water last weekend and now this weekend it doesn't work. Must be the water i guess, so will take the motor off to clean it.

Do i take it off and then clean it or do i open it in position and clean it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X