Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find a decent machanic

Hi

I have enjoyed my '96 3L Turbo SSRX (manual) for the last few 3 years and it's never let me down. All I've had to do replace 2 batteries and a few other minor mechanical things while i've owned it. I really do not want to replace it as I cannot find a modern 4x4 that has the cababilites of my surf. The problem I am having is finding somebody who will deal with the problems that happen with an aging car as well as servicing. It seems as soon as I take it to an idependant mechanic and mention transmission they reapidly lose interest. I want to service my Surf, repair the failed demist on the back window and fix one of the passengers windows that seems to have become unhitched from the up/down mechanism. Along with that I have to turn over my Surf in gear to get it out of 4WD, and would like the whole thing overhauled. I'd pay decent money to get it sorted out if I could find a mechanic near to me who I felt had the ability to sort it out. Is there anywhere near Basingstoke/Reading/Bracknell I can take it who will do all of this?

As a footnote to this question I have a paintwork- I have an area over the drivers door where the laquer is peeling off leaving the matt paint underneath. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do i need to respray?

thanks

Chris

ooh, I dunno....
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I do know a guy called Tonyn near basingstoke who is ok, bit of a pain in the arse though
      I think he has tried to fix a surf once before with some success

Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Problem is his website still says he's too busy...
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
          Problem is his website still says he's too busy...
          The sig is more accurate..

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ooohhh.... Do you know anyone tony?.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

LOL

I've now been here long enough to get the "in"jokes; time to pay my dues!

Middle of the month payday.

peace
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Good Surf Mechanic

Hi Mate I Live In Maidenhead And Have A Good Qualified
                Toyota Machanic Who Has Fixed My 4wd System And Does
                All My Servicing On My Surf,he Is Located In Taplow Behind
                Sgt's(the Alfa,subaru Dealer)
                Uk Teknics
                Cheers Jonny
                MINES A LARGE ONE !!!

Comment

deffo go with our tony,just remind him to turn his head when hes changing the oil and dont kick the drip tray over in the pit.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Toenee N there's only one toenee N, Toe, toe nee NNNNNN there's only one toenee NNNNNNN
                    Erm ........go see tony N
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Many thanks

Thanks for your help...i'll be making a few calls today. I think I spoke with Tony a couple of years ago but that was when he was unable to take bookings.

thanks

Chris

Comment

Tony is back up in business now so it's worth giving him a ring again or ask him here
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Many thanks all

Talked with Tony and popped over last tuesday. He took a quick look and we went for a test drive. I gave him my list of things to fix and I dropped off my Surf today. Forgot to ask him to be careful with the waste oil though. Hope it does not get messy.

For those of you who are interested these are my problems:
                          -Rear window switch is not working well any more- It got sort of sticky then stopped working
                          - Rear demist not working
                          - rear passenger electric windows. I believe it got stiff as it was going up and down really slowly...eventually the window disconnected from the mechanism so any of you complaining about slow rear passenger windows should give them a good clean...my working rear passenger window worked a lot faster after a good clean of the runners with hot soapy water
                          - full service, belts and oil change including all transmission oils
                          - Cam belt
                          - Any thing else Tony can find that needs doing

I did see his modified surf. Made my conventional one look like a normal car.

cheers

Chris

Comment

Tony will do only what needs doing and you won't be ripped off either.Alot of members use Tony for having work done as he knows these trucks inside out.If he finds anything that needs doing and might cost a bit he will ask first before doing the work.Which modded truck did you see the Bullet (black truck) or the 1st gen which is awesome looking.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                            X