Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Gauge

I have just spent the afternoon fitting a temp sender in one of my surfs, you need hands like a gyno to fit the bl**dy thing, the sender cost £39.27 and a new 19mm deep socket £5.45, and the sodding thing is still playing up, it works up to about a third and then just drops back to zero, and then sometimes goes up to half way for a few seconds or even minutes.

So has anybody got any ideas what it is, or has someone got a spare gauge kicking around that I could try.

iratic temp guae

Originally posted by andy
    I have just spent the afternoon fitting a temp sender in one of my surfs, you need hands like a gyno to fit the bl**dy thing, the sender cost £39.27 and a new 19mm deep socket £5.45, and the sodding thing is still playing up, it works up to about a third and then just drops back to zero, and then sometimes goes up to half way for a few seconds or even minutes.

So has anybody got any ideas what it is, or has someone got a spare gauge kicking around that I could try.

If its the same set up as the 3.0td 4runner uk spec. then i believe that there is a unit behind the speedo clocks. I was told by the guy that i bought mine from that he had a prob with the temp guage and changed the sender, but found after some investigating that it was this unit behind the clocks. Not an easy job to change from what i heard.....eg dash board out.
    hope i helps.
    Last edited by Grimreeper; 4 June 2004, 20:41.
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

The temp gauge is easy to remove, just 2 screws and it's out that's once you have the dash apart.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        The temp gauge is easy to remove, just 2 screws and it's out that's once you have the dash apart.
        From what i believed its was not the temp gauge but a seperate unit that controled the gauge.
        Only going off what i heard when i bought my 3lt that there is another contril unit somewhere behind the dash.
        Have u tried toyota service for advice. Lmao i know they are not that forthcoming with info. but have been ok with me recently......may be ive been lucky lol
        BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Hi Andy,

I am not sure if this is totally correct but looking through various stuff I am deducing the following.

The engine coolant temperature sensor is only linked to the ECU and is part of the fuelling.

The gauge is a temperature pressure gauge (Looking at attached drawing - sorry it's so big edit - made it smaller!). If these are separate and you have changed the ECT then the gauge will still appear the same.

This may be complete bollox but it may help.

Rich.

Last edited by rich; 5 June 2004, 21:09.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

And looking at the townace sight the sender unit for the gauge is normally on or around the thermostat housing. It will have only a single spade connector on it.

The way to test the gauge is to short it to the chassis and it will go fullscale high or low (Don't know which) if it does then it is the sender that is cattle trucked.

Hope this helps.

Rich.
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
            X