3rd gen intercooler performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen intercooler performance?

Whats the performance difference between a standard intercooled 3rd gen against a regular 3rd gen, folks on here have quoted anything from doesn't feel any different to 30bhp.

Does anyone have a link to anything accurate ideally with MPG comparrisons aswell.

To explain, I am looking to buy a new truck and was set on a intercooled 3rd gen to get as much grunt as possible for towing but they are fairly rare and I'm fussy on the spec and not finding what I want. If the intercooler doesn't add much I won't bother and could find the spec I want.

Thanks
    Darren

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    Whats the performance difference between a standard intercooled 3rd gen against a regular 3rd gen, folks on here have quoted anything from doesn't feel any different to 30bhp.

Does anyone have a link to anything accurate ideally with MPG comparrisons aswell.

To explain, I am looking to buy a new truck and was set on a intercooled 3rd gen to get as much grunt as possible for towing but they are fairly rare and I'm fussy on the spec and not finding what I want. If the intercooler doesn't add much I won't bother and could find the spec I want.

Thanks
    Darren
    Non intercooled 3rd Gen 130bhp Intercooled 145 bhp

Any one that I have spoken to, that have drive both, say there is little or no difference. I tow a twin axle trailer on a regular basis with a ton and a half on it, with my standard 3rd gen, you'd hardly notice it was there.

Comment

I have owned and towed with both and there is very little difference I would say the non turbo is slightly more economical solo, the current model with a intercooler has a sunroof and putting that on the tilt makes a fair improvement both to the fuel economy and the steadiness of the caravan up to 4mpg so if I had a choice sunroof rather then intercooler.
      ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
        I have owned and towed with both and there is very little difference I would say the non turbo is slightly more economical solo, the current model with a intercooler has a sunroof and putting that on the tilt makes a fair improvement both to the fuel economy and the steadiness of the caravan up to 4mpg so if I had a choice sunroof rather then intercooler.
        let me get this straight.
        by tilting your sunroof, thereby deflecting some of the oncoming air and decreasing drag, you have managed a gain of 4mpg ?
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Yes there abouts overall fuel consumption towing over 1600 miles in France
          worked out a 27mpg with the sunroof on the tilt and the cover shut to keep out the wind noise and aircon on keeping to a steady 60 mph on cruise control, and that's with the odo in mph not kmh
          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Thanks guys, if it is 15 bhp difference it must make some difference thats more than 10% more, driving one after the other maybe it's too small to tell but side by side surely it would be noticeable.
            The 2.4 is only 90 bhp and the regular 3.0 is alot quicker so if 40bhp increase makes a big difference another 15 must still be very noticeable surely. Has anyone got official 0-60 times it must show in that.
            Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
              Thanks guys, if it is 15 bhp difference it must make some difference thats more than 10% more, driving one after the other maybe it's too small to tell but side by side surely it would be noticeable.
              The 2.4 is only 90 bhp and the regular 3.0 is alot quicker so if 40bhp increase makes a big difference another 15 must still be very noticeable surely. Has anyone got official 0-60 times it must show in that.
              Darren
              I don't know what the performance figure's are, but there can only be a few tenths differance.

At the end of the day it's a 4x4, and how it performs down to the last second is irrelevant.

Comment

power

hi folks
                well i dont know what intercoolers you lot have with mine i can do a wheel spin take off i tow a large caravan around europe and get around 28 to 32 to the gal [and no sun roof up] and i cant tell you how fast and well it tows as it may be in excess of 70
                the old git

Comment

before i bought mine (non intercooled turbo dieasel) i test drove an intercooled one and a 3.4 quad cam petrol.
                  between the 2 diesels there wasn't much in it, but the intercooled was quicker ( but it was a manuel). if it's power then get the petrol one that flew
                  Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I have an intercooled, i understand that the gearing is different meaning the engine is reving less at a given road speed. This probably accounts for the similar feel in performance,
                    I have also owned 2bd gens and there is not a lot in the performance.

Comment

OK, so a Surf weighs getting on for 2 tons - roughly speaking. You have a 15bhp difference - likely less due to age.

At best, thats 7bhp/ton.

You reckon you'll feel a difference?
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                        let me get this straight.
                        by tilting your sunroof, thereby deflecting some of the oncoming air and decreasing drag, you have managed a gain of 4mpg ?
                        Same reason they have wind deflectors on H.G.V cabs.

Comment

Working...
                        X