X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30TD Head gasket "Big Job"???

Hi all
    Can anyone help?
    I have a KZN185 3.0TD Surf, The head gasket has gone and I need to know if its a common problem?
    Where the cheapest/best head sets are?
    Do I need to get new head bolts or will the old one's be ok?
    and when the gasket goes does the head warp or the block crack hopefully neither, I know i will probably have to split it to see what the damage will be but any other hints or tips you have will be a great help,
    Thanx
    Petepony

if its anything like the KZN130 it'll need head bolts as well.

Not a particular pig to do just a couple of bolts in bad places.

Steveo (add on here) is the best place for all your bits. The head gasket comes on its own and the rest of the gaskets in a separate kit.

Some of us have suffered from cracked heads (me included) normally between the valves in number 4 cylinder.... Good Luck!!
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
      if its anything like the KZN130 it'll need head bolts as well.

Not a particular pig to do just a couple of bolts in bad places.

Steveo (add on here) is the best place for all your bits. The head gasket comes on its own and the rest of the gaskets in a separate kit.

Some of us have suffered from cracked heads (me included) normally between the valves in number 4 cylinder.... Good Luck!!

Thanx for your info and where can I get hold of Steveo and get a price?
      Coz I'm striping the head on Thursday,
      "Fingers crossed"eek:

Comment

Hi I have owned 2 2nd gen bought them both cheap with cracked heads.
        I now have a mint 3rd get int, this also cracked the head.
        If you pull the head get it pressure tested.
        Not too bad a job, a good tip when stripping anything is to take loads of photos.
        Good luck

Comment

I think it is more likley the head is cracked sorry to say but it is an easy job just a heavy lump! I got a replacement head,cam,gasket set, timing belt, glow plugs and new head bolts off ebay £600 as a kit I also blocked off the egr valve while it was in bits and it makes a difference as well! I should think it is the same or very similar to do as on my LC Colorado.
          Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

What are the symptoms of this dreaded problem?
            I was looking at my engine this morning and its damp with oil round the top
            Should I be worried

Comment

I have the same problem with my 3.0L It has been running well but I was servicing just before MOT and noticed the expansion tank was empty and the header of the rad was nearly empty. Topped it up, started the engine and had lots of fizzing and exhaust gas in the rad! Don't need a gas test to tell me that it's a head problem, would love it to be the gasket, but either way the head will have to come off!! At no time did my truck overheat!!

As long as oil is not pouring out it sounds like you may have a weeping rocker cover gasket, certainly not a head problem,

Cheers, Nick
              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Well Ive taken the head off and there was 13+ cracks in it,
                The engine still ran just kept on lossing water!!!
                So anyway I had to have a new head, I search every where but the prices are around £700+++ for new,
                Untill I found one on ebay from cadherin10 for £400 delivered plus £50 which you get back when you send your old one back, this head was NEWLY ASSEMBLED and ready to go,,,,
                I've fitted the head myself and all is well and Happy to have my steed back on the road/mud
                Thanks for all your help guys your

Comment

Originally posted by petepony View Post
                  Well Ive taken the head off and there was 13+ cracks in it,
                  The engine still ran just kept on lossing water!!!
                  So anyway I had to have a new head, I search every where but the prices are around £700+++ for new,
                  Untill I found one on ebay from cadherin10 for £400 delivered plus £50 which you get back when you send your old one back, this head was NEWLY ASSEMBLED and ready to go,,,,
                  I've fitted the head myself and all is well and Happy to have my steed back on the road/mud
                  Thanks for all your help guys your
                  Good luck to you. I bought a head from the same guy and it cracked after 4 months!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -MaTTi- View Post
                    Good luck to you. I bought a head from the same guy and it cracked after 4 months!!!
                    Oh bugger
                    Well so far so good
                    Did you get your money back?????

Comment

Originally posted by petepony View Post
                      Oh bugger
                      Well so far so good
                      Did you get your money back?????
                      I took the head off yesterday. I don´t know how it goes because I live in Finland... I sent an email to cadherin10.

Comment

Working...
                      X