Exhaust - diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust - diameter

My exhaust exit has always been quite high, touching underneath the rear bumper when flexing over a kerb (or when fully laden)...and it sits there ding-a-linging away against the metal bumper when full in traffic.

I have wedged a bit of wood in the rubber hanger to push it away from the bumper....

...but now I have a towbar on, the exhaust pipe is resting against one of the towbar bolts permanently.

To remedy this, I want to fanny around with the exhaust anyway. I want to take out the humungous silencer and put a straight pipe in its place (or a smaller straight-through silencer).....then I want to exit the exhaust just before the rear wheel.

My question is......what is the standard diameter of the pipes before and after the humungous silencer on a 3.0 1996 3rd Gen......I can then do the side-exit from the bits of exhaust I have left over "apres-silencer".

thanks

ok, ok...I'll get down on the floor and measure it myself.

who needs maths lessons when you have google
    Diameter is Circumference divided by pi.

...i like pie..

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
      ok, ok...I'll get down on the floor and measure it myself.

who needs maths lessons when you have google
      Diameter is Circumference divided by pi.

...i like pie..
      If you bought a new towbar you should have got a small drop bracket to lower the exhaust due to the towbar covering the original mount.
      Cheers
      Paul

Comment

you could always drop it out the side like this:
        Attached Files
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

i used to make exahausts out of 3m length straight stainless pipe.

if you wish to remove the very last silencer you can do so and you will most likely not notice any audiable difference.

if your handy with a tape measure and fancy re-routing the pipework, you might be able to work out exactly where to cut the exhaust as it travels over the axle. you could have some pipe made up with an expanded end and clamp a new piece on.the only thing would be making up a new bracket.

in reference to pipework size, i think the size on there now is about 2.25" - 2.5" diameter. any size roughly around there would be fine.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger View Post
            If you bought a new towbar you should have got a small drop bracket to lower the exhaust due to the towbar covering the original mount.
            Cheers
            Paul
            Yup, new towbar...but nothing "spare" in the box.

However when comparing my exhaust to Bushwhackers (in his photos) mine is a lot higher up all the way along the chassis after the rear axle.

And yes......side exit is what I want...replace the huge box and then just take the exit straight out to the side.

EDIT:

Dieselboy, thanks for the info......but I only have one box on the entire length of my exhaust...the big one in the middle....that is the one I want to replace.....I don't mind a bit of extra noise as long as it is still legal.

Comment

i made mine come out the side behind the rear wheel though.

patten exhausts are never made exactly to spec so this is why it might run a slightly different path.
              another thing is that it might not be an exhaust exactly for your car.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thanks....

..although just had a look at here:
                http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199....html?hl=17430 which is exactly my exhaust with a single box and a very straight exit running along the chassis rail.

I think they changed a couple of times during the 3rd gen run.

I am going for it....going to find a long single box to replace the big one...then after that take it straight out the side in front of the wheel so I don't have to go over the axle.

Comment

Working...
                X