Valve Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Noise

I have a noise that's just started on my 3.0. I'll start her up and she sounds fine for a couple seconds. Then I hear a ticking noise that seems to be coming from my valve train. This lasts anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds and then it goes away. I know in my old push rod engines this was usually a stick lifter. Not sure what it could be here, any suggestions? Being an import to Canada, parts will not be easy to come by.

Thanks,
    Scott.

i love push rod engines. i had an old 1970s/1980s engine with twin weber carbs etc..
    anyway,

about this ticking.. what surf do you have? is it manual or auto?
    ive found ticking noises to sometimes be a dry belt like alternator... a spray with talc powder sorts that.

if the noise only ticked from startup and eventually went away i would say a slight blowing exhaust manifold.

it may be worth you MAKING SURE THE CAR CANNOT MOVE and then getting underneath to try and hear exactly where it is.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I've listened to her and I am sure it's from the valves. I read on another diesel thread that it could possibly be that one of the valves needs adjusting. It starts fine, then within a couple seconds it makes the ticking noise and it usually goes away in anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds. It doesn't happen when the engine is started when it's warm, only when it's cold.

Comment

sorry, for some reason i read you post where it said valve train and i thought drive train..

if i were you i would check the clearances. it seems strange how it goes away within such a short period of time.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
        X