gremlins ecus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gremlins ecus

I have a gen 2 3.0TD '94 vintage but it has issues! The car seams to think its in ect mode but definately isn't the four wheel drive won't work no light no vac switching nothing, the cruise control dosn't work or anything computer controled for that matter and I get nothing from the diagnostic socket as if there is no power to it! I have checked all the fuses that I can find and the fusable links. I am at a complete loss can anyone help?
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

have you checked the 4wd ecu under the dash by the ash tray.?
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I have tried one from a 2.4 made no difference, would that affect anything else?

Comment

ok first a few questions.
        1.has this fault developed or did you buy the truck with the fault.
        2.go around the engine and make sure that all the vac hoses are connected properly especially to the vsv's on the inner wing behind fuse box and to the solenoids on the front differential casing that control the 4wd.
        3.have you tried replacing ect switch and 4wd switch,these have been know to have a break in the wires.do a continuity test on them.
        4.it could be a sensor on the gearbox,just check the wiring and clean the terminals up.
        .5.have you checked the fuse board in the drivers side foot well.?
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

I have sold 2 ecu's now that have had the same fault that i know of as yours and thats like no o/d or ect is on.Itested the ecu's in my own truck as i knew mine was ok and it turned out to be the ecu.I would try to find someone close by with a 3.0l that you can put your ecu into their truck to see if it does the same to theirs.
          I know a few people are worried about doing this as they think its gonna buggar up their own truck but mine is still fine and thats after hammering the truck with a dodgy ecu fitted.
          I haven't any 3.0l ecu's left as i sold the last one yesterday to a guy in Plymouth with the same fault,but try yours in another truck
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The car was like that when i bought it, the valves on the inner wing work ok as i have swapped the vac pipes manually and the add works ok when i do this (switches on and off) if i press the button on the transfer lever i can hear a relay click under the steering column (but i dont know if it is the correct relay) anyone got an idea of a relay or part number? I have no indicator lights to tell me if its trying to go into 4wd or not. There looks to be an actuator on the transfer case but i cant hear anything trying to do anything at all there either i am at a complete loss! I really wish id bought an LC 70 series which is generally a much simpler system and much more reliable as well! aaarrrgggghh.

Comment

It's fairly common for the actuator you mention to stick.take of the end plate and manually move It in and out a few (hundred times)!

BTW No Landy I ever had/owned /borrowed/stole was as reliable as a Toyota.
              www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

I will give that a try cheers! In the mean time is there any 3.0td surfers out there in the Bolton Lancs area who would be willing to try my ecu in their motor to test it?

Comment

The fact you can hear a relay under the dash when you press the 4wd button prob means the 4wd sequence has started but the 4wd ecu
                  (Not engine ECU) has not received the correct signals to complete the whole operation. If the actuator is not fully home (or sensors go u/s), the circuit will not complete and the 4wd lamp will not illuminate, ADD wont work,the transfer box stays in 2wd and the world becomes a Shi**y place!

Sorry cant help on the spare engine ECU, but as your cruise and ECT are not working properly, seems that an ECU fault appears likely.
                  www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Working...
                  X