Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hissing noise when accelerating hard

Hi,

My hilux surf (KZN130) has just developed a loud rushing hissing noise linked to the revs. I can't hear it when the engine is idling at about 2000rpm you can hear it, above 2000rpm and higher it sounds like someone is sitting in the boot with a hoover. It seems to come from the back of the car on the drivers side. Thinking it must be the exhaust I have been under the car whilst it is running and can't find any obvious leak.

Does anyone know what this could be or what / where I should look?

Thanks.

Have you checked your brake shoes for dirt or for needing to be replaced?

Comment

The hilux has recently had a full service so I assume the brakes are fine. I forgot to add to the original post the hissing noise also occurs when the hilux isn't moving.

Comment

Check the intake hoses from the air filter to the turbo.

Comment

Have you got a link to a diagram or a picture of the engine with an arrow pointing to the hoses?

I've looked in under the bonnet and can take a fair guess but in reality have no idea what the air filter or turbo would look like.

The noise doesn't seem to come from the engine area though. It seems to come from the back of the car. I suppose the sound could be reflected down and back from the engine.

Thanks, Robin

Comment

The intake filter is the large metal canister that you shove the air filter into. It's a tad hard to miss, as is the turbo. Check all of the rubber hoses between those two. Also check the front section of the exhaust from the turbo downwards. If it is exhaust related, that's the most likely spot to hear that type of sound from.

Comment

Stick it in neutral or park and rev it. If if still makes the noise, you know it's nothing brake or otherwise wheel related.

As Matt says, air intake is a big metal box that sits on top of the engine with a fat rubber tube coming out of it. Kind of like a biscuit tin....The turbo will be connected to the pipe and looks like a bit metal snail.

Comment

G'day
                Another thing to check is the hose from the rocker cover to the Turbo Intake, it is a black rubber hose about 1" in diameter on the left hand side of the rocker cover at the back which conects to a metal pipe, then to the Turbo intake.
                Mine came off...WHY??, and it took me days to work out where the noise was coming from.
                Because it's on the drivers side just in front of where you sit, it's quite loud.
                Hope it's this, as it's an easy fix.

Comment

Checked all the hoses nothing wrong there.

The problem solved itself last night when the baffle box on the exhaust exploded open with a big bang.

Thanks, Robin.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinG View Post
                    Hi,

My hilux surf (KZN130) has just developed a loud rushing hissing noise linked to the revs. I can't hear it when the engine is idling at about 2000rpm you can hear it, above 2000rpm and higher it sounds like someone is sitting in the boot with a hoover. It seems to come from the back of the car on the drivers side. Thinking it must be the exhaust I have been under the car whilst it is running and can't find any obvious leak.

Does anyone know what this could be or what / where I should look?

Thanks.
                    I had a sound like that on mine and it turned out to be the egr valve, However this sound was intermitant at first and gradualy got worse until it sounded like a tracktor..

Comment

Working...
                    X