Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre choice & odd rattle when moving

Hi Everybody

I decided to combine both my questions in one post....

I have had a KZN130 3litre manual SSRX for a few years now and I am still having great fun with it. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some opinions on:

Tyres:

I use it to tow a caravan about 5 or 6 times a year but most of the time it is not towing. It has BFG 31x10.50R15LT 109S RWL tyres which were fitted when it was imported and they are getting a bit low on tread. Replacing with another set of BFGs is going to be expensive so is there any good alternative. I've seen Toyos are pretty cheap and there are other makes out there too, however I have had problems with cheaper tyres in the past so do not want to buy rubbish typres that do not hold their balance.

I would also like to know if getting tyres that are more focused on road use would be a good idea...It's not like I am a green laner but I do need traction from time to time pulling the caravan through muddy fields.

So if anybody has any suggestions on a good make for replacement tyres and perhaps an opinion on fitting more road focused tyres I would appreciate it.

Odd Rattle:

There is a strange clattering sound coming from the underside of my surf which is more noticeable when the window is down. It sounds like it is coming from the underside of the car below the drivers seat. I am also having problems with disengaging 4x4. It goes in fine but to disengage it I have to press the button to off, turn off the engine, put it in gear and turn the engine over to kick it out. Not sure this is related to the rattle but both symptoms developed at about the same time. the odd thing is the rattle is not always there and is sometimes louder and sometimes acceptably quiet.
    I have tried to find a mechanic to troubleshoot this but every time I mention transmission they seem to lose interest. It's like they just want to earn money changing sparkplugs, oil and air filters.

On the note of mechanics if anybody knows somebody near Reading/Basingstoke/Farnborough(hants) who knows all about surfs please let me know!

thanks

Chris

I cant help with the rattle im afraid but tyres is my kinda thing...

How muddy are the fields your going in? If its just a lil bit then road tyres should be ok.. You normally find that All terrain and Mud terrain tyres tend to just churn the grass up and make it worse.. Part of how they work but still.

I'd be tempted to go for road tyres. It cant hurt that much.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...26b0s239p11311

Assuming you have a 2nd gen (i didnt look before i started typing) then that tyre will fit on no problems.

You'll notice a slight improvment in MPG, better performance with your brakes and it will be fine in the wet.

£65 each aint too costly either!! Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
    X