Headlight bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight bulbs

Ok, so this might have been better placed in electrical or maybe even general, but, just in case there is a variation with the bulb or replacement method on the 3ltr, I'll put it here for now.

I have a nearside bulb out [actually main beam works still?]. Having done a little searching, I "think" the best way to replace is via the engine bay, right? Undo battery strap, undo expansion bottle, undo air intake cover wherever that is [its dark out]. Then, deal with a rubber cover before relacing and re-assembling everything.

It seems like the general concensus is to stick to the H4 60-80, with a "but". The 80-100 are brighter, but illegal for on road use? Some guys use them evidently, but if you were to dazzle someone into a ditch, might not there be an insurance issue?

Anyway, thats all academic, because the roughtrax site is advertising Hella Plasma bulbs, in pairs, for £14:95. Well, it sounds very wonderfull, but at 60-80, are they that much brighter than the standard halogen? Has anyone used them?

I take it that those will fit straight in without having do deal with "loom upgrades" and all the other scary stuff mentioned with the higher output 80-100s?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by mickey; 8 January 2009, 19:27.

hi mate,its a prefrence thing but i get to them via engine bay,5 mins tops,ps i took the scary route,i run 110w bubs,standard loom no probs,obviously i dont recomend u do this and have very bright lights

Comment

I'm running the "only for off road" 90/130 bulbs, no mods to the looms and not had a problem in 4 1/2 years

Comment

Ok guys. Thanks for that. I was giving the brighter bulbs some further thought last night after seeing Breakdown's reply. There are some pretty harsh lights out there on the roads these days, and so upgrading mine to 110 will probably just "even the playing field" a little. Besides, I DO live in Norfolk!

I'll be popping into Halfords [when it is light] and I'll have a rumage through the range. I'm guessing that H4 is the fitting, and so as long as I pick something with an output of between 80 and 110 then I'll not be frying anything too precious.

Thanks again. [Although I'll probably be back at lunch-time asking how to get the washer bottle off]

Comment

All done! Nay drama, so ta very much. I managed to snap the plastic mounting lug off the air intake shroud, and I'm not 100% sure its sitting in the right place now, but hey, for me, I'd call that a result!

I will confess to whimping out of the high output bulbs though. It was more the fact they didn't seem to have any on the shelf, and the "normal" output "exreme brilliance" ones claim to be 90% brighter, [and buy one get one free] that clinched it. You might tell me I've been foolish, but at least I'll know its a job I can do in under 10 minutes per side next time should I decide to upgrade!

Hark at me..I've changed a bulb and now I think I'm one of the lads Sad really, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
            All done! Nay drama, so ta very much. I managed to snap the plastic mounting lug off the air intake shroud, and I'm not 100% sure its sitting in the right place now, but hey, for me, I'd call that a result!

I will confess to whimping out of the high output bulbs though. It was more the fact they didn't seem to have any on the shelf, and the "normal" output "exreme brilliance" ones claim to be 90% brighter, [and buy one get one free] that clinched it. You might tell me I've been foolish, but at least I'll know its a job I can do in under 10 minutes per side next time should I decide to upgrade!

Hark at me..I've changed a bulb and now I think I'm one of the lads Sad really, isn't it?
            nope not sad mate,we all have to start sumwhere

Comment

I must admit I'd almost got the headlight out trough the front, complete with front grille and bumper half off before i thought 'there's gotta be an easier way than this' lol. Bull bar and front spots went on today, cold job out on my residential car park but well worth it. Just off out to test them now... ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X