I Killed 4WD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Killed 4WD!

HELP! I think I have really hurt my Smurf and now she's in a right old mood with me.
    OK here goes. 4WD has always been fine until today whilst offroading. I think I hurt her!
    I was doing a fairly hard offroading event today and half way through a stage 4 WD stopped working. I therefore had to allow a Land Rover to tow me out!!
    Anyway I found that 4WD would engage when in Low box. So I took it easy and continued the next stage in 4wd low and at the last gate as I hit the final mound hard on the front right wheel I, . . I mean the whole site heard a horrible PANG. Then a little grating. BUM! I was thinking prop shaft.
    BUT I reversed alittle and drove off the course as it was an easy section anyway. When I drove forward it wasn't grating??
    There is nothing visibly snapped. I tried putting my foot on the brake and slowly accelerate in gear whilst in 4wd low box and you can hear grating. It's fine in 2WD. Although the front bumper took a hammering and is now hanging off!
    I was going to be changing the front wheel bearings soon as it is overdue and was just starting to whine / humm slightly. I'm guessing that the thing that engages the front right wheel for 4wd is screwed what ever that is. Although I don't understand why just before the big PANG noise it was only allowing section of 4wd in low box. Please help. Got some great photies I'll post them up soon.
    Member of the 115,000k club

Could be the pinion has mashed the teeth of the crown wheel..

Thats probably the most likely thing to have happened mate.

Check for a diff code on the VIN plate on the bulkhead an the guys with breakers can set about getting you a replacement.

Might be worth pulling the diff out to just check.

I take it all the CVs gaiters up front are ok?!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply mate.
      Yeah the gaiters look fine although I havn't tried pulling them off or anything. What sort off costs am I looking at? Also I take it it's not just a fit it yourself job. Well not for me anyway I guess.
      Last edited by PC-Surf; 4 January 2009, 19:47.

Comment

Its a fairly awkward job to pull it. Nothing mega brain teasing just a lot of stuff needs to come off/apart.

Not sure on Costs. Im sure Richard (stormforce) could let you know how much he sells a front diff for.

If the gaiters look ok then chances are a CV joint hasn't been fecked as i'd expect it to feck the gaiter pretty quick.

Plus the wheels an there for the cv joints turn in 2WD. Its only drive to the diff that alters in 4wd.

Best bet is get underneath it an just remove the sump plug in the diff. If the oil comes out with some metal shavings then its done for an you'll need a replacement.

Dont forget to top up any oil you drain.

Comment

Thanks Rodimus Leachimus I don't know what I'd without this forum! I'll give a look over tomorrow.

Comment

i normally sell the front diff for £100 but i got nothing in stock at the mo.I think lord lucan will be your best bet at the moment
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by PC-Surf View Post
              Thanks Rodimus Leachimus I don't know what I'd without this forum! I'll give a look over tomorrow.
              No probs!
              Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              i normally sell the front diff for £100 but i got nothing in stock at the mo.I think lord lucan will be your best bet at the moment
              Cor' bleedin useless Rich!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                No probs!

Cor' bleedin useless Rich!!
                I know you just can't get a breaker to supply what people need anymore can you

Comment

I know you just can't get a breaker to supply what people need anymore can you
                  To be honest, its always going to be tough. One truck takes up a sh!t load of space an with things like diffs etc. If the codes wrong then its useless untill someone comes along who needs that exact one!

Bl**dy handy though mate!

Especially when there prices on black an grey seats with door cards are spot on !!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                    To be honest, its always going to be tough. One truck takes up a sh!t load of space an with things like diffs etc. If the codes wrong then its useless untill someone comes along who needs that exact one!

Bl**dy handy though mate!

Especially when there prices on black an grey seats with door cards are spot on !!
                    you want a spare set by any chance then Rod

Comment

you want a spare set by any chance then Rod
                      Im alright at the moment mate. I need to repair a small tear that dragging my ar$e in has caused but other then that!

Comment

I have a front diff available if the code is the same .
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cool, I'll get back to you once it's deffinately diagnosed with the codes see if they match. Cheers Bud!

Comment

Working...
                          X