slipping belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slipping belt

whenever i turn on my air con there is nasty screeching noise. I assume this to be insufficient tension on the belt. I just had a look hoping to see a simple solution but couldn't see where to tighten it up.
    i have a '94 3.0 ssrx some info would be greatfully recieved.
    cheers

Originally posted by archie
    whenever i turn on my air con there is nasty screeching noise. I assume this to be insufficient tension on the belt. I just had a look hoping to see a simple solution but couldn't see where to tighten it up.
    i have a '94 3.0 ssrx some info would be greatfully recieved.
    cheers
    Hi there, I got the same problem for a year now. Its not usually the belt .although you can tighten it via a threaded rod to the bottom right of the compressor. I wouldnt reccomend it tho as it will simply put more load on the bearings and could cause em to collapse altoghether if they are indeed to blame.

There is a clutch mech in the pully system and this seems to be the offending article on mine and otheres. I hear it is replaceable without the need for a whole new compressor. I have not had the chance to strip mine down yet But I'm sure someone will come along and top up this post soon.

You could put out a call to the Air Con Doc, he is registered here and is informative too.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

From someone who has a front mounted aircon rad, not under engined one, tensioning the aircon belt is very simple. If you look at the belt run, it has three pulleys, the main driving pulley is the crank pulley at the bottom right, the aircon unit pulley itself is at the top, the bottom left pulley is a tensioning pulley. To tighten the belt, there is a centre bolt in the tensioning pulley ... loosen it. Looking up from underneath, there is a long bolt which goes thru the rear of the tensioning pulley centre bolt. Tightening this bolt will tug the pulley outwards so that the belt tightens. There should be 10ml of play in the tightened belt. Dont overtighten, its something you get used to. When you're happy with the belts tension, retighten the centre bolt.

How did you get on Archie???

**edit** oops just realised this is the 3.0 ltr forum, hope it applies the same as the 2.4
      Last edited by JimL; 6 May 2004, 22:39.

Comment

slipping belt

Hub disc- Hella part no CE10223 for Denso type 10PA15C and 17C
        Clutch- Hella part no CE10226 for Denso single 'A' groove belt drive comps - like surf
        No prices at this time of night but try Javac UK in Middlesbrough-Hella agents, Steve is very helpful!
        Hub disc is bit that doesn't spin when a/c off, clutch is whole rotating assembly i.e coil, pulley and disc
        [COLOR=darkred]Eddie The Air-Con Doctor[/COLOR]

Comment

Eddie - any info on replacement proceedure or is it logical and plain ?
          thanks.

Ron.
          Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Slipping Belt - no

I had this problem with my aircon when switching it on with the engine / air temp warm. Did not happen with the engine / temp cold. I had this checked out under warranty by our local aircon firm and they found that the unit was way overgassed (had about 950g of gas instead of about 720-750g) and also that a valve in the circuit under the dash had seized, thereby not allowing the gas to flow and producing a "head" pressure of over 200psi at idle. Apparently this should not exceed about 120psi at idle.

This, I was told, is the reason for the skreech from the aircon as the compressor is trying to push the gas round the system but because of the blocked valve the pressure rises too high for the compressor to turn, hence the skreech as it locks up. It was sorted last Friday. Haven't tried it in anger yet (too cold around here) but running it at idle to test gave a very quick cool down of the cabin.

I overheard the guy talking to my dealer and he quoted about £160 to obtain and replace the valve. It didn't take him too long to fix either once he'd sourced the replacement valve, about an hour and a half all told, although I did take out the glovebox myself to make access easier for him.
            Mike G

Comment

Working...
            X