Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just became the owner of a 3.0l TD Surf, has a few engine problems but generally in good shape. I can do mechanics but body stuff sucks....
    Hope when i need info the gods of surf will smile on me and point me in the right direction......
    She's had new head new rad new water pump etc so should be good in that department.....but apparently she over heats going up hills so i assume ATF flush and possible extra cooler on the cards......
    Checking her over yesterday and ended up ripping out the turbo to get it checked as the crunchie display team had nothing on my smoke system. Found the induction pipe from the turbo to the inlet was coated in black oil and not just a fine splattering there was quite a bit.... Turbo would not spin til i stuck a socket on it and gave it a twist..... I assume if turbo not spinning its just acting as a baffle causing back pressure and possibly forcing exhaust gases back through the EGR hence the masses of smoke and missfire with added engine rattle....... Remove the EGR me thinks and what about all the little sensors and tubes can i remove them and tape back the cables or will that chuff up the engine management.....
    Hope to have her sorted before new year but no real rush as the bus ride from Tewkesbury to Cheltenham is ten times better than Alton Towers and far cheaper specially when Mr Polskivostok is driving....no offense but they are nutters behind the wheel of that bus....gives me a grin when i get to work...

Paul
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Hi Paul and welcome.Hope the surf is ok.
    If you need another turbo i have one here for £115 delivered for you if needed.
    If iwas you i would get it fully serviced.You can get all the parts from www.milneroffroad.com or www.roughtrax4x4.com

Any q's do a search as most q's have already been answered.
    There's a few of us on here that break surfs so most parts are available on here at a reasonable price.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If it overheats on hills check the thermoviscious fan is working .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse Paul,

Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the banter

Trev

PS BEWARE the yeti, so far all attempts have failed to housetrain it !!!!
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Turbo

Cheers for the welcome guys. Thanks for the parts offer and links....
          Not sure i feel knowledgeable to obtain parts and service it my self so found a company local that can service for £218 plus vat. Gives me a bit of peice of mind and they warant it as well. Also found a company that does recon over the counter stuff so will get quote tomorrow as i needed numbers from turbo housing for them to cross reference....
          Oil looks like black paint so new oil and filter are definately on the cards...
          Any thoughts on my question about EGR sensor thingy bits and pipes etc..can i remove them as well as EGR ?
          Viscous fan was on my list until i found that i could send smoke signals to china.... Its had so many new parts on the cooling side so once turbo is spinning and smoke gone i hope to cure the over heating on hills....
          Is there a way to temporary lock the fan to take it for a run up a hill to test if fan is in need of fixing ?

love the look of some of the surfs on this site, drawn to the lifted mudplugger look rather than the pimped out low and lean.....when pennies grow i am sure she will get the look she deserves.....
          Living in tewkesbury i think snorkel may even be on that list.......

cheers

Paul1566
          Last edited by Paul1566; 15 December 2008, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            Hi Paul and welcome.Hope the surf is ok.
            If you need another turbo i have one here for £115 delivered for you if needed.
            If iwas you i would get it fully serviced.You can get all the parts from www.milneroffroad.com or www.roughtrax4x4.com

Any q's do a search as most q's have already been answered.
            There's a few of us on here that break surfs so most parts are available on here at a reasonable price.
            "Don't forget the Yeti (Bio-hazzard) also breaks em too Richard !!!
            (never to return)

Hi n welcome Buddy to the Madhouse.....

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect any warning !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Smokey stuff

Just done some reading up on smokey stuff and may have jumped the gun ripping out the turbo.....or maybe not aha......still think i was right cus the bugger didn't spin when i got it out......
              Appears that if you leave a Surf standing for too long you should drain the fuel filter of water ? fill the tank with redex? warm the exhaust to dissipate condensation ? some one mentioned next doors cat but can't remember what to do with that ? and thrash it in sporty underdrive mode.....??
              Ah well got to get me spanners dirty and rip me knuckles open, lovely way to spend a Sunday. And found that half the bolts where missing so thats a plus...
              Got more quotes for me turbo service, £275-575 +vat or £305-480 + vat.
              No one has one on the shelf but they can rebuild it back to spinny mode..
              Second quote also said for a £10 they will take away and inspect it before doing any work on it....mmmmm maybe its worth a tenner to find out how bad it is........
              Looks like i may have to break a rule and get me credit card dirty as well....
              Look darling those shiny wheels and knobbly tyres would look so nice on my truck and it is christmas...... ok socks it is then love....... yes thats fine darling.....grrrrrrr

Paul 1566

Comment

New owner

Oh well got me hands dirty again and off came the EGR and all the aircon stuff...... Good job i did half the bolts where loose, finger tight at best.
                Air con pump clutch was shot and the pulley rattled any way.
                Took the huge wrap round bull bar off complete with sump guard and additional a-bar bit...... tried putting the a-bar back on its own but it looks naff, sticks out too far. Gunna stick it all on fleabay when i get time.
                Took the viscous fan off and clamped it in the vice, heated the coil on the front with me heat gun and there was no change in resistance so thats on me shopping list as well........
                Also found some of the little vaccuum pipes going to the inlet where duff so new tube needed.......
                If she don't purr when i am done i'll kick me self to death......

Paul1566

Comment

Re

You sound like you know what you are doing mate!

Ever had a Surf before?

Comment

New owner

Never a surf, had landys series 1, 2A and 3 when i was in my younger years...... Always had an interset in cars and when it was possible fixed it myself..... Not like the stuff you get now where you need a big wallet or a degree in computers just to find out whats wrong..... . Just got rid of a vauxhall combo van they wanted to charge me £50 to plug it in and turn the service light off.... Found a way by surfing the net and did it for free....

Paul1566

Comment

Hi an welcome
                      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Working...
                      X