Brake Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Problem

I seem to have a problem with the brakes on the surf. The brake warning light on the dash has lit up, the brake pedal is rock hard to press whether the engine is running or not and it basically doesn't brake very hard when you do manage to press the pedal slightly.

I have checked the obvious like fluid, haven't checked the calipers as its dark and late, but was wondering if anybody had anything like this happen before or if you had any ideas what to check.
    Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

id sugest that its a problem withyour vacum booster. check that theres no lose vacuum hoses hanging off it...

Comment

Cheers Macca, I will check that. I had a feeling it might be a vacuum problem, but couldn't see any loose hoses at a glance. But will have to double check and make sure. I did think i heard a hissing noise before hand. So maybe have a leaking hose.

Comment

Brake vacuum test.

Pump brake pedal several times with engine off. With foot still on brake pedal start engine. If the pedal drops slightly the vacuum is ok.

Nev

Comment

Cheers for the help guys, it was a vacuum problem. I had changed the engine as the old one was Fubar'ed and drop a small bollock. I put the wrong pipe on that goes from the vac pump to the pipe going across the top of the rad.
          it was too long and not sealing properly so the air was escaping and couldn't build up any pressure.

I swapped the pipe out and its working fine now, just got to replace the power steering pipe now i kinked getting undone

Comment

if i pump my pedal several times the pedal starts to get hard and get the warning light on the dash! if i give it some gas the pedal gets soft again! could this be the vac pump on the way out or a split pipe somewhere? also where is the brake vac pump??

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
              if i pump my pedal several times the pedal starts to get hard and get the warning light on the dash! if i give it some gas the pedal gets soft again! could this be the vac pump on the way out or a split pipe somewhere? also where is the brake vac pump??
              System is working fine , you have no fault with the vac system .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Vacum pump is on front of alternator. The large hose is for the brakes. It goes to a small tank which has a one way valve and a vacuum sensor and then to the booster. If you pump the brakes several times in quick succession the light will come on because the pump can't keep up the vacuum. This is normal and does not indicate a fault. Reving the engine is allowing the vacuum to be restored.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                X