yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Surf's - just need a little guidance please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Surf's - just need a little guidance please.

Hi all,

I've had my first Surf now for 3 weeks - very happy.

As I'm not sure on its history too much I thought I'd give it a quick and basic service - I have the KZN185.

My questions are;

1. Found RoughTrax on the web - are they OK? (http://www.roughtrax4x4.com)
    2. They have 2 types of service packs, Surf KZN185 basic service pack and the Surf KZN185 premier service pack - basically what would you experienced guys out there go for if you'd just bought one?

Also, any other suggestions for what you'd check would be great - I just want to make sure its not going to let me down - although it looks and runs great!

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Hope I am allowed to link to sites here????

Cheers.

if you don't know what the service history is then i would get it fully serviced with the cam belt also to be on the safe side.The £65 has to have del and vat added also.If you know someone that can do the cam belt cheap enough then get everything from roughtrax at l;east everything will be delivered the same time and only one delivery cost
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Have a look at Milner off road there filter kits a re a bit cheaper as stormy said if you dont know the history get it all done inc the cam belt,auto tranmission fluid.
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I just did a complete service on my KZN185 tonight, only took a few hours to change the cam belt, pulley and tensioner, auxillary belts, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.

Bought all my bits from Roughtrax - it's better quality than milner but a little more pricey. Not as much as getting a garage to service it for you though!!

I agree with others, if you don't know SH, change the cam belt to be on the safe side. I would always say change the tensioner and pulley too - if one of those break you could find your cam belt breaking too. It was the first time I changed the cam belt on the surf tonght and it was a piece of cake.
        1 - Take the cover off
        2 - Apply some pressure to the top of tensioner while unbolting the pulley (don't lose the washer behind the pulley)
        3 - Remove the belt and the tensioner
        4 - loosely fit the new tensioner(with the pin in place) and pulley
        5 - Slide the cam belt on in place
        6 - Tighten everything back up
        7 - Pull the pin out of the tensioner
        8 - Visual check and feel that everything is lined up and in place
        9 - start her up and check that its all spinning around properly

Btw I used original Toyota Cam belt - personally I prefer using original part for such a crucial component

Oh yeah, buy yourself the maintenance book that roughtrax sell too
        Last edited by sounddezign; 8 October 2008, 23:04.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks so much for the pointers, what a great forum.

After speaking to both companies, I went with RoughTrax because I spoke to a chap called Barry who obviously knows what he's on about when it comes to Hilux's! The kit was cheaper than Milner too.

After having had cars all my life I reckon these are great vehicles and a lot of fun and look dead easy to work on.

Hoping to give something back to the forum soon!

Comment

And as you are in Bristol you can pop round and pick stuff up from Roughtrax if you don't want to bother with delivery. Only trouble with Barry is he ain't open on a Saturday.
            Mike G

Comment

Soundesign: "9 - start her up and check that its all spinning around properly"

by the time you manage to stop the engine the damage is done, although I've never changed the T belt on the surf I've done other cars and the advice is put a spanner on a crank or other cog and turn the engine through two rotations to determine if its been done right before firing the engine. H

Comment

Working...
              X