Revs / speed related vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revs / speed related vibration

Noticed yesterday. Feels slighly like the 'buzzy' feel through the steering with mud tyres (but I'm running BFG ATs) and happens (only on acceleration) round about 30-40mph.

I replaced a wheel bearing last weekend and thought it might be that bedding in. It was slightly slack so I tightened it up a bit, and did the other one as I was at it. It seemed OK afterwards, but this morning its still there though only slight.

I've had a look down at the belts to see if there's any undue movement in the pullys but all looks well. Is movement easy to see, or is it not that simple? One thing that makes me think 'pulleys' is I removed the aircon belt last weekend as it looked ropey. I have another to put on, but haven't done it yet.

One last question. The 'harmonic balancer'? Is it just the two bonded pulleys?

<edit>

Just been for another drive. I dont think its anything sinister otherwise I'd feel the vibration through the gearshift and low ratio selector.

However, what I have done this week is re-bushed (with Milner polybushes)/ re-fitted the front ARB for road use, so maybe I'm feeling the tyre tread / road surface through the steering now the front suspension is stiffer again.
    Last edited by Apache; 21 September 2008, 11:49.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

If it only happens on acceleration i.e. when the engine is under load, then I would suspect engine/transmission mounts or something driveline related.

Comment

Andy if you need any of the mounts then let me know as i can send the ones from the breaker up with the rad if you still want it
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Just got home from Liverpool.

Obviously had to drive the truck home. Poor old girl felt like she was shaking herself to pieces, and the vibration is definitely worse now.

It is DEFINTELY not :-

Loose wheelnuts

It COULD be :-

Front wheel bearings, perhaps I stuffed it up when installing, though it spins easily, and doesn't seem to make any noise.

Harmonic balancer? Not sure what this sounds / feels like. Who's had one pack in on them?

Vince, nice shout mate! Any links to where all the mounts are? I'll get under the truck tomorrow. I'm knackered now.

Richard, I'll let you know ASAP what I need if I can track this down.

Comment

Harmonic balancers tend to make a chirping sound similar to a slipping fanbelt that increases with revs as they become de-bonded.
          The engine mounts (one either side)can be seen behind the rubber flaps in the wheel arches, get someone to rock the engine from side to side to check that the rubbers are still bonded to the mounts.
          The transmission mount fitted between the transmission and the crossmember under the transmission/transfercase.

Engine mount..
          http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=618&vid=484
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 21 September 2008, 18:45.

Comment

This made a noise on two occasions today, but it was more of a revs related clatter than a chirp.

I'm swapping the belts ASAP anyhow. Is it possible to feel play in the pulleys with the belts off, or is more tension / pressure required to work out whether the things are fubarred?

Comment

uj's andy ??

you grease regularly so i spose you would have noticed a knackered one, but may be worth a look.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

When my harmonic balancer became unstuck, the fan blades were skimming the rad making a bit of a revs related racket, if that helps.
                It's the outer ring of the pulley that becomes de-bonded from the centre section, so if the face of it isn't flush then you'll know thats the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                  uj's andy ??

you grease regularly so i spose you would have noticed a knackered one, but may be worth a look.
                  I got under and gave the prop a good tug. Only a small amount of play so I doubt that. Not the fronts cos they aint turning (got manual hubs)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    When my harmonic balancer became unstuck, the fan blades were skimming the rad making a bit of a revs related racket, if that helps.
                    It's the outer ring of the pulley that becomes de-bonded from the centre section, so if the face of it isn't flush then you'll know thats the cause.
                    I'll take a look at that tomorrow too, but when I checked this morning, the pulleys seemed to be spinning nice and true, with no fan wobbles. That wouldn't vary under load either would it? I suppose that would just clatter all the time.

So, its looking like favorites could be engine / gearbox mounts, or as yet unconfirmed prop / UJ problems...

Comment

Erm,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought the 3.0 litre DIDN'T have a harmonic balancer.

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Dunno. It would be nice if it doesn't as its one thing I can rule out

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          I got under and gave the prop a good tug.
                          I know I shouldn't be so childish, but..........

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            I got under and gave the prop a good tug. Only a small amount of play so I doubt that. Not the fronts cos they aint turning (got manual hubs)
                            a small amount...........there shouldnt rally be any. i greased up today and there is no play in any uj. just a tiny bit of play can make a horrific vibration.

and as a thought how are your tyres ??

could they be causing it, any strange uneven wearing,maybe a lump or flat spot on one ??
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              a small amount...........there shouldnt rally be any. i greased up today and there is no play in any uj. just a tiny bit of play can make a horrific vibration.

and as a thought how are your tyres ??

could they be causing it, any strange uneven wearing,maybe a lump or flat spot on one ??
                              Tyres are near brand new BFG ATs gra. 'spose I could stuff the UJs full of grease and see if that damps it down. That will tell me if I have one of them stuffed.

Comment

Working...
                              X