KZN185 Brake/gearbox problem - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Brake/gearbox problem - Help!

This is my first time posting on here but reading all the threads you all seem to know everything about the Surf (whilst I know nothing!) so here goes...

We have a 3.0l Diesel with intercooler on an automatic and today it seems as if the parking brake is not releasing as it should.

Usually when you engage drive or reverse the car starts to move with no use of the accelerator but today it didn't and although it released when re-started it also did it driving along as well.

I'm probably not explaining this very well as I'm not very good with cars in general! Don't think it's the handbrake that's the problem as that doesn't hold the car that well anyway!

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

So does it actually feel as if a brake is locked, or just that the drive isn't engaging properly.

Comment

It's as if the hand brake is on although the hand brake is not good enough to hold the car normally!

Both Drive and Reverse engage fine and workl when you use the acelerator but there is not the usual pull when you put it in either reverse or drive

It did it whilst driving along too and felt like it was dragging, perhaps the brake pads could be stuck?

Comment

Have you checked the autobox fluid level and colour ? If low it will let the box slip . If brown then the fluid is overheated and you may have worn 'bands' in the auto box.

The brake calipers do have a reputation of seizing on Surfs . I would suggest jacking up the vehicle and checking all wheels are free to turn front and rear . If all is free then the fault may lay somewhere else.
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

The handbrake pivot lever on the backplate of the rear drums often siezes on 3rd Gens so the rear shoes drag.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

the tansmission oil is fairly clear like hydraulic oil. the level on the dipstick is always on the hot mark even when left overnight. the front wheels were hot as if brakes stuck, but does the P position in auto box hold front, back or all wheels. will try jacking car up and checking wheels tomorrow. presume i should have engine running and gear in neutral.

Comment

P on gearbox only locks the prop to gearbox. You should be able to turn front wheels with gearbox in P or any other gear you want.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
              X