Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer / Gearbox Issue

Hi Guys

Tried to drive the truck today but it didn't go anywhere.

Does not move in 2wd but will in 4wd. and makes a rachety type noise when put into neutral when in 2wd and not 4wd.

I did notice that the 4WD light was on when I got in (I wasn't the last person driving it) and I'm wandering if they had been driving in 4wd will this have buggered up the transfer / gearbox??

Thanks in advance for any info any of you can supply - I need to get this fixed quick and may be able to fix it myself if I can find out what needs doing!

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Get the front wheels off the ground, and see if you can 'unwind' the transmission first....

Sounds like you've wound up the front diff, it's not a fan of being driven about in 4WD on tarmac
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
      Get the front wheels off the ground, and see if you can 'unwind' the transmission first....

Sounds like you've wound up the front diff, it's not a fan of being driven about in 4WD on tarmac
      It would be nice to find out that its just wound up and not knackered box.

Do both wheels need to be of the ground together and how do you "unwind" them?

Cheers

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf View Post
        It would be nice to find out that its just wound up and not knackered box.

Do both wheels need to be of the ground together and how do you "unwind" them?

Cheers

Yes - get both wheels off together....it may depend on how long it's been wound up for - it could be shagged mate, so don't get too hopeful....
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
          Yes - get both wheels off together....it may depend on how long it's been wound up for - it could be shagged mate, so don't get too hopeful....
          Thanks MudSurfer - Seems that it was woundup (and only a little bit). A neighbour who has been a mechanic gave me a hand and it seed that all we needed to do was drive back and fore a few times in 4wd and than put it into neutral and it went back into 2wd. He's going to have a look again at it in the morning when I'm at work and give it a proper check in the light.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks MudSurfer - Seems that it was woundup (and only a little bit). A neighbour who has been a mechanic gave me a hand and it seed that all we needed to do was drive back and fore a few times in 4wd and than put it into neutral and it went back into 2wd. He's going to have a look again at it in the morning when I'm at work and give it a proper check in the light.

Thanks

let us know how you get on..
            i have me fingers crossed for you
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thanks

Did you do what Mudsurfer said? Driving it back and forward in 4wd isn't going to do anything to help.

My money is on the transfer box being damaged.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
              X