Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Speedo stopped working

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advise, as the surf is refusing to start up on turn over.

I had the RAC out and they advised the problem is probably the Solenoid or the fuel pump, as no fuel is getting to the injectors. He also advised that the glow plugs are also not getting any voltage.

Would the Solenoid cause this issue in the pump and can anybody suggest any tests that I can carry out to prove where the problem lies before I start swapping out various bits.

I have also noticed that the glow plug light on the dash doesn't come on when tuning the ignition on. I have also been running on 50/50 veg oil from Tescos for the past 6 months without problem and was planning on changing the fuel filter first.

I have seen a previous thread where they mentioned it was the ECU, Is there anyway I can test it.

Thanks in advance for any advise, missing her whilst driving wifes car.
    Last edited by Marshman; 14 November 2008, 23:16.

Surf stopped working

Sorry, raised the call twice!
    Last edited by Marshman; 14 November 2008, 23:18. Reason: problems creating thread

Comment

Originally posted by Marshman View Post
      Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advise, as the surf is refusing to start up on turn over.

I had the RAC out and they advised the problem is probably the Solenoid or the fuel pump, as no fuel is getting to the injectors. He also advised that the glow plugs are also not getting any voltage.

Would the Solenoid cause this issue in the pump and can anybody suggest any tests that I can carry out to prove where the problem lies before I start swapping out various bits.

I have also noticed that the glow plug light on the dash doesn't come on when tuning the ignition on. I have also been running on 50/50 veg oil from Tescos for the past 6 months without problem and was planning on changing the fuel filter first.

I have seen a previous thread where they mentioned it was the ECU, Is there anyway I can test it.

Thanks in advance for any advise, missing her whilst driving wifes car.
      In reverse order, (possibly the cheapest option) Change the fuel Filter n fill with ATF or Diesel Red X in the tank n drive it like ya stole it ....
      If glowplug illumination is not on ... Maybe a fuse n glowplugs not working..
      Check for persisting symptoms !!!!
      New Glowplugs are about £28 from Allparts ..

There's always a Payback .... Don't expect a warnig !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Just don't snap the old one's when removing them
        Brian

Comment

50/50 veg with no new filter?sounds like u need to change filter,fill with atf as said,also prob blow airline down yr fuel lines,id guess yr blocked,if no luck/start crack the injectors off see if yr getting anything coming out

Comment

Car wont start

Thank for the replies so far, but still no joy.

I have changed the fuel filter and tested for blockages, but the diesal seems to flow freely to the filter, but does not get to the injectors. Recently changed the glowplugs

The symptoms at the moment seem to be that there is no glow plug light coming on at the dash and no voltage getting to the glow plug bar when tested on start. RAC man also bypassed the glowplug relay with a straight cable to the glow plugs and still no joy.

Also no fuel coming out at the injectors when turning over.

It seems more electrical than mechanical, but unsure where to start. Do you know where would the power to the glow plugs and fuel pump be linked. Is there a all stop valve some where, that controls them both?

I have seen threads talking about the solenoid in the fuel pump, but would that effect the glow plugs.

Comment

After further investigation, I have noticed that the Engine light isn't coming on at all on the dash board, so assuming that this is generated by the ECU also and is the same reason that the glow plug light isn't coming on and no power is getting to the fuel Pump and glow plug feed.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated and I will update thread when I get a chance to dig a bit deeper in to the connections?

Comment

New ECU required.

Thanks for all the advise so far, but struggling to find the time to do any further testing on the connections and wondered if it was just as easy to just replace the ECU.

Does anybody have a spare ECU that they are willing to sell, or let me test?

It's for the 3.0TD SSRX Auto 1993.

Comment

Ya could try here
                  http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/
                  Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... But don't expect a warning !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks Mate,

Do you know if anybody has used them on thie forum?

Comment

I think it was Phantom 18 used em recently...

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X