Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john day
    hi turbotommy
    what was the out come of the turbo light .mine has been coming on and off for the past twelve months no difference in performance tho ,how much did it cost to repair
    john
    I assume that you know from the previous posts that on 3.0s the light should be off while driving, but on 2.4s it does come on with turbo pressure. I had (and may still have) a turbo problem. The light wasn't on at any stage, and the diagnosis of the problem came from blue smoke at idle, and under sharp acceleration (though not deceleration) and excessive (though not exactly measured) oil consumption, and oil in the turbo to manifold pipe. The turbo was removed, sent to turbotechnics, assessed, condemned (did they have a vested interest??), and a reconditioned one supplied. These are 595 +vat, though cheaper than toyota which quoted 1195 +vat. If you look at the turbo technics website, they claim that the life of a turbo is 75K miles, though i'll bet that there are plenty of surfs/4runners with more miles and the original turbo. I still have some blue smoke (though now have more acceleration) which most likely means a somewhat knackered engine (compression was 285, a bit low for 75K miles). I need to go back see if the garage think that the remaining smoke is not turbo related, though the numpties overfilled it with oil, so i'm not overly impressed with their abilities. I'd certainly not reccommend them, but will need to use them if the turbo has to go back 'under warranty' (of course the turbo came with a warranty, but i can see it dissappearing as soon as you have a question...).

I hope that you don't have a turbo problem...

Comment

Working...
    X