Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Mileage Engine and cars

Guys,
    The few Surf 3.0l manual sellers I have contacted, have decided not to respond, so I figure that I might as well look for a UK model and then add Surfy bits to it (Intercooller bonnet, wraparound bars). I have had JDMs for a while and have used the air-con in anger, only once or twice, apart from the maininance 15 min runs that they need - so I wont miss nowt there. The Chromy bits can be attained by some detailing and more transplants from the JDMs.

How well do the Surf/ 4-Runner 3.0 TD engines take to high mileages? I found one today thats done 110,000 miles and it is a 1996/97. Its a UK 4-runner that has towed a caravan about "3 or 4 times last year". Apparently the belts have not been changed on it "because the change light never came on...." and the owner believes that it has a timing chain unlike the Surfs.... uh... She does have a Full non-dealer Service History, with no indication of belt changes etc.

At the mileages spoken about, I guess we are looking at worn rear springs etc that you guys speak of on surfs, a set of E9000S + 2" springs might sort these out? Ditto steering idlers? Anything else I need to look at?

Basic worry is are these engines going to be bullet proof if they were serviced regularly? How would I check up on these diesel thingies; When do Turbos need overhauls on these? How do I check for doofy'd turbos?. I have run a Petrol Land Rover for ages - rule of thumb in its maintenance is "if doesnt leak its out of oil, if it doesnt sqeak then the squeaky thing has fallen off, PULL OVER NOW!", but I guess these Surf/4-Runners are a different kettle of Sushi?

TIA as usual.

Regards
    Udhi

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
    Guys,
    The few Surf 3.0l manual sellers I have contacted, have decided not to respond, so I figure that I might as well look for a UK model and then add Surfy bits to it (Intercooller bonnet, wraparound bars). I have had JDMs for a while and have used the air-con in anger, only once or twice, apart from the maininance 15 min runs that they need - so I wont miss nowt there. The Chromy bits can be attained by some detailing and more transplants from the JDMs.

How well do the Surf/ 4-Runner 3.0 TD engines take to high mileages? I found one today thats done 110,000 miles and it is a 1996/97. Its a UK 4-runner that has towed a caravan about "3 or 4 times last year". Apparently the belts have not been changed on it "because the change light never came on...." and the owner believes that it has a timing chain unlike the Surfs.... uh... She does have a Full non-dealer Service History, with no indication of belt changes etc.

At the mileages spoken about, I guess we are looking at worn rear springs etc that you guys speak of on surfs, a set of E9000S + 2" springs might sort these out? Ditto steering idlers? Anything else I need to look at?

Basic worry is are these engines going to be bullet proof if they were serviced regularly? How would I check up on these diesel thingies; When do Turbos need overhauls on these? How do I check for doofy'd turbos?. I have run a Petrol Land Rover for ages - rule of thumb in its maintenance is "if doesnt leak its out of oil, if it doesnt sqeak then the squeaky thing has fallen off, PULL OVER NOW!", but I guess these Surf/4-Runners are a different kettle of Sushi?

TIA as usual.

Regards
    Udhi
    Basically the 3.0 (1KZT or 1KZTE) engine is pretty bombproof as long as it is well looked after. Regular oil and filter changes help. If it is neglected then it won't be as strong.

It should be a lot stronger and long lived than a LR petrol engine, the rule being though if it leaks - fix it, if it squeaks then someone has put that squeaky thing off the LR under the bonnet.

Duff turbos can be checked for by black or blue smoke under hard acceleration - all diesels do it, too much can either be turbo or injectors (black smoke). Too much noise is also a giveaway as is a lot of oil in the inlet pipe - seals on the way out.

Drive it, the 3.0 should pull like a train with good mid range grunt, there should be no hesitation or misfiring.

New springs will sort out a saggy rear, shocks should be OK but a change to Procomps will tidy up the handling although make it harsher unless fully loaded. ES9000 are harder than ES3000 but are Gas rather than oil filled and consequently fade less under load.

The Timing belt should be changed as a matter of course, however on the 3.0 it's easy and takes less than an hour. I think it has a chain as well as a belt, Belt does the cam to pump timing, chain does cam to crank timing - not sure on this though.

Hope that this helps

Cheers

Comment

Andy, delivered like a pro mate! thanks a lot for the info!

This site is absolutely superb. I did not even know that the Toyota Surf/4-Runner existed last week, and yesterday, I managed to freak out an importer who thought that I was another dealer tying to sound him out! All thanks to the knowledge delivered directly or pointers given to second party links, by members on this site! Excellent Excellent EXCELLENT!

Things have come such a long way since the local dealers greased me out of hundreds of £s on the pretext that JDMs were so different that it warranted different parts and more labour.

I think it is purely due to knowledge-sites like this that Mainstream dealers are begining to drop prices and be less aggressive towards JDM owners.

Udhi

Comment

......I found one today thats done 110,000 miles and it is a 1996/97. Its a UK 4-runner that has towed a caravan about "3 or 4 times last year". .....
        1996/97 means it must be a Surf not a UK 4Runner, its a 3rd Gen which was never sold new in the UK

...... and the owner believes that it has a timing chain unlike the Surfs....
        unlike the Surfs ?????? anyway, thay all have timing belts, whether Surf or Runner
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Morr,
          I am led to believe the 3.0TDs might have two belts - a rubber jobbie and a proper CHAIN as well, setup in a way similar to what Lucky describes - and if he got it wrong, he wouldnt be called Lucky would he! I havent had a snoop at one so I wouldnt know off first hand experience.

But if its easy to do as Lucky thinks, then I am going to give it a try myself. All that remains is to get a Workshop manual CDROM from somewhere....

Udhi

Comment

Morr,
            I am led to believe the 3.0TDs might have two belts - a rubber jobbie and a proper CHAIN as well, setup in a way similar to what Lucky describes - and if he got it wrong, he wouldnt be called Lucky would he! I havent had a snoop at one so I wouldnt know off first hand experience.

But if its easy to do as Lucky thinks, then I am going to give it a try myself. All that remains is to get a Workshop manual CDROM from somewhere....

Udhi
            As far as I can see, it just uses a belt, from cam to crank, oil and injector pumps appears to be gear driven.

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              As far as I can see, it just uses a belt, from cam to crank, oil and injector pumps appears to be gear driven.

Thought they wouldn't have a chain, just remember seeing a post somewhere about there being a chain and I couldn't remember the layout from when I did Tazman's.

Cheers
              Last edited by lucky; 15 April 2004, 16:07.

Comment

Ooooooh Morr.....nice pics

Could I entice you to sell me a set of 3.0TD Electronic manuals? Paypal? Fastpay? Beers? Cheque? Beads? Baubles?

Thnx guys, I will find out about the chains with certainty, WHEN I GET MY WON TD! Har Haaaaar!

Regards
                Udhi
                Last edited by ChasesDragons; 15 April 2004, 20:21.

Comment

Belts

Hi Chasesdragons l am one of the people who have not replied to you about the 3litre Manuals, A "BIG" SORRY but l have had a sudden death in the family and l have had alot on my mind. AS to the belts the 3litre T/D has the same front set-up as my 4.2T/D Landcrusier and usess the very same timming belt, it is realy simple to do not like the 2.4T/D. l Will e-mail you when things have settled down at home again to see if you have bought one yet.
                  Live Life To The Full

Comment

Ooooooh Morr.....nice pics

Could I entice you to sell me a set of 3.0TD Electronic manuals? Paypal? Fastpay? Beers? Cheque? Beads? Baubles?

Thnx guys, I will find out about the chains with certainty, WHEN I GET MY WON TD! Har Haaaaar!

Regards
                    Udhi
                    If I was to sell you a copy I would have to charge an astronomical price using your offered currency of beads and baubles, something in the order of 10 million beads (mixed selection of Blues and Blacks)!

So I think I'll just show you how to get them for free instead,

You can view it on line at http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

or download a copy at http://surf.mactherapy.com/

If you don't mine large downloads, you can also pick up a copy of the EPC (Electronic parts catalogue) at http://www.speedtoys.com/~arnout/
                    Maurice

Comment

Bob,
                      I am sorry to hear what happened. Not to worry about the Car mate. I have just taken on the services of two importers (both in Hants......I think thats near West Germany somewhere....for us north of Brummy). Whenever you do have the time, pls email any pics to zen2095atZENdotCodotUK. Just keeping my options open.

Morr, thnx for the links matey, I downloaded the EPC ISOs but they did not ****** work. I had the Japanese/Russian ones too somewhere but obviously the script was different and I couldnt even sellect the CDROM!

Comment

Bob,
                        I am sorry to hear what happened. Not to worry about the Car mate. I have just taken on the services of two importers (both in Hants......I think thats near West Germany somewhere....for us north of Brummy). Whenever you do have the time, pls email any pics to zen2095atZENdotCodotUK. Just keeping my options open.

Morr, thnx for the links matey, I downloaded the EPC ISOs but they did not ****** work. I had the Japanese/Russian ones too somewhere but obviously the script was different and I couldnt even sellect the CDROM!
                        When you say they didn't work, what exactly happened.

I have had problems with mine but that is due to the fact that I changed the PC and have now got too much spare space on the hard drive. THe EPC is an old type of software that cannot handle disk partitions of 1GB or greater. I am just waiting for my disk to fill up a bit before reinstalling.

The ones on Speedtoys are the ones you really need as they are the japanese area ones that list the LN130 Surf rather than the 4Runner on the European ones. Some of the optional bits are not listed on the Euro ones.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                          When you say they didn't work, what exactly happened.

I have had problems with mine but that is due to the fact that I changed the PC and have now got too much spare space on the hard drive. THe EPC is an old type of software that cannot handle disk partitions of 1GB or greater. I am just waiting for my disk to fill up a bit before reinstalling.

The ones on Speedtoys are the ones you really need as they are the japanese area ones that list the LN130 Surf rather than the 4Runner on the European ones. Some of the optional bits are not listed on the Euro ones.

Cheers
                          thats probably why i havent been able to get it to work, so the thing to do andy is create a small partition on the hard drive
                          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                          [size=5][/size]
                          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                            thats probably why i havent been able to get it to work, so the thing to do andy is create a small partition on the hard drive
                            Yep.

Create a partition of 998MB or less and then it will work. I used to have it installed like that on my main machine at home, but when I made it into a dual OS machine with Linux on one and XP on the other I lost the partition and couldn't be bothered to go through the pain of creating a small partition on my main drive - I ran the small partition on a secondary hard drive which didn't have the OS on it, just documents so it was easy to split partition it. It's a real pain to do this on a live partition where the OS resides.

My Laptop is a dual partition machine installed by our IS team with the ability to split partitions turned off in W2K permitions. I need to wait until my non OS partition has less than 1GB of space on it before installing it. Just installing Autoroute on that drive so hopefully the space will be used up pretty quick.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              Yep.

Create a partition of 998MB or less and then it will work. I used to have it installed like that on my main machine at home, but when I made it into a dual OS machine with Linux on one and XP on the other I lost the partition and couldn't be bothered to go through the pain of creating a small partition on my main drive - I ran the small partition on a secondary hard drive which didn't have the OS on it, just documents so it was easy to split partition it. It's a real pain to do this on a live partition where the OS resides.

My Laptop is a dual partition machine installed by our IS team with the ability to split partitions turned off in W2K permitions. I need to wait until my non OS partition has less than 1GB of space on it before installing it. Just installing Autoroute on that drive so hopefully the space will be used up pretty quick.

Cheers
                              Are you positive on the 998mb bit Andy, coz mine is running fine under XP pro in a partition of around 6Gb (NTFS) with about 3 to 4 Gb free. Plus my EPC must be identical to yours, coz you copied it for me many moons ago(thanks once again). I previously had it running under 98se on a 6.4Gb drive (Fat32) with about 2Gb free
                              Maurice

Comment

Working...
                              X