ATF temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF temp

Decided to change my atf fluid as i had noticed that my left foot and the tunnel was getting very hot, so drained the sump (4 ltrs ) and refilled with DX II, took for a 6-7 mile driveto get nice and warm to check that level was good and it was, but the tunnel still got really hot...
    So had a feel underneath on the trans and it felt as hot as the exhaust......now i have not had the atf temp light come on, but how hot do these trans get,before the light comes on and is there antway to check that the temp sender is working ??

( the stuff that i took out was really dark and that had only been replaced last summer using the same methood )

EDIT :
    starting to worry that my gearbox in fooked !
    Last edited by evil_jesus; 4 August 2008, 20:09.

Dont worry too much, the ATF is AT LEAST as hot as the coolant - hotter if its under serious load.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Was wondering how hot it got, have had thoughts of putting a temp sensor in the pipe. Maybe a before and after cooler to see how effective it's working.
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Chocolate will melt if left in the little pocket by the rear window button, its how you know its up to temp.

An added bonus of body lifts is you left foot stays cooler.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

will take it for a good drive later and measure the temp of the casing or something, the probe i have wont fit down the filler tube

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            Chocolate will melt if left in the little pocket by the rear window button, its how you know its up to temp.

An added bonus of body lifts is you left foot stays cooler.
            I'd use that mod to test the temp, but the chocolate wouldn't stay there long enough without being eaten
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Think of it this way, it goes into the engine coolant to stabilise the temperature. Engine coolant is hot. Sitting with your ankle against the tranny tunnel is a bit like sitting with your ankle against the rad.

Dont worry about it!

Comment

i am listening.... and appreciate your advice, but i can never remember it getting this hot before

Comment

Its always been at coolant temp or hotter, honest. If it wasn't, somethings bust

You haven't just got a load of mud and shit under the tunnel transmitting the heat through have you?

Comment

Ok Clever Peeps, Maybe Someone Can Now Tell Me How To Remove The Choclate From The Little Pocket Behind Rear Window Switch As It Is All Melted Into Every Nook And Cranny?

Comment

Originally posted by NEZ View Post
                      Ok Clever Peeps, Maybe Someone Can Now Tell Me How To Remove The Choclate From The Little Pocket Behind Rear Window Switch As It Is All Melted Into Every Nook And Cranny?

drive round till it melts again, then use a straw to suck it up

i have a bottle of water that sits on the center console between the gear and transfer levers, on long trips i often halve to move it else its to hot to drink...

Comment

Comment

Re

drive round till it melts again, then use a straw to suck it up
                          PMSL

Gary

Comment

Working...
                          X