Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse beeper anyone?

Hello All

For several weeks now the reversing bleeper on my truck has been a bit hit "n" miss....sometimes it worked and other times it didn't, then a few days ago it stopped working altogether. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't mind if this annoying bleep never worked again, but I suspect it may be a good idea to sort it out in some way so as not to give the other half an excuse for reversing into someone at Asda.

I've already checked all the electrical connections I can find around the drive selector and all seems well. Cleaned up the contacts as best I could on a very small PCB with three wires going to it in there too. Reverse lights are lit when selected etc.

Could anyone please give me some idea of the next best place to look for the fault? If its a component that is likely to need repairing\replacing, a description of it and its location would be helpful if possible.....a photo even better still.

Thanks in advance.

AL
    If at first you don't succeed,
    Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Can't answer your question, but if you can't fix it, i do have an aftermarket one you can have for the cost of postage!
    (i believe it just wires in to the reverse light cable, like the ones on vans and trucks!)
    Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
      Can't answer your question, but if you can't fix it, i do have an aftermarket one you can have for the cost of postage!
      (i believe it just wires in to the reverse light cable, like the ones on vans and trucks!)
      Alan
      There's an even easier option

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Reversing-beep...3286.m14.l1318
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thanks for the offer Alan, if I can't get the original sorted out I may just take you up on it.

Thanks to you too Trev for the link to the noisy bulbs. Tried some of those a few years ago on a Transit. I think they are designed to be more for warning pedestrians at the rear of your vehicle than to let the driver know he has selected reverse. Couldn't really hear them from the drivers seat in the van with engine running but sounded ok at the rear of the vehicle.

I don't seem to be able to find any old threads covering this fault but find it hard to believe that I'm the only one it has ever happened to. A post on the Oz site looks like being next on the list.

Thanks again guys

AL

Comment

I think you will find you are the only person who wants to hear the damn things !!!

Most people want to strangle them, along with the speed bell
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Reversing Beep -did you find the problem?

Alamo,

Did you ever get to the bottom of your reversing Beep intermittency? I've got same prob as you had, also my illumination on the Auto Gear selector are intermittent!

Can't seem to find any other threads on this issue!

Thanks

Martin

Comment

Martin,

No, unfortunately I never was able to trace that particular problem. The beep only seems to disappear on my truck when everything had warmed up. After being stood for a while (everything gone cold again) the beep returns. I haven't got around to taking the dash apart yet so don't know what sort of circuitry, if any, is under there. I suspect (hope) the problem may just be down to a dry or cracked solder joint which is parting company with everything else once warm.

Didn't have any gear selector illumination at all on my truck when I first bought it. Spent around an hour or so taking centre console apart to replace bulbs and everything worked ok. It might be worth checking to see that the bulbs are seated properly in their holders.

I've not had much spare time lately to do anything to the truck, but I will certainly let you know when\if I find anything.

AL

Comment

Just get rid of it!
                It's a little white speaker on the back of the speedo cluster.
                Most people get buy without one, I tend to know when I'm in reverse.

Comment

Funnily enough, I can usually spot the fact that I'm reversing too. Makes you wonder why Toyota bothered to add the thing if its so easy doesn't it?

Seriously though, I just like to know things are working as they were intended.....until such time as I choose to disable them myself.

AL

Comment

Personally, I think it's rather useful. We all are prone to the occasional numpty moment. The sounder can be useful if those occasions arise.

Comment

Working...
                    X