New steering box to fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New steering box to fit

I have a steering box and pitman arm to replace tomorrow. ( recon).
    Is there any sequence to which bolts, screws etc I undo, or do I just work from top to bottom, or vice verse.
    TIA

Hi Pete.I don't think it will matter which way round you do it but which ever way you do it let us know and do a small write up and a few pics on it for others that need to do it.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      Hi Pete.I don't think it will matter which way round you do it but which ever way you do it let us know and do a small write up and a few pics on it for others that need to do it.
      Will do Richard, have to get the camera charged up then, I think I will work from the top down, but will have a look tomorrow and decide then.

Comment

If you want to separate the pitman from the steering box will be easier if you pull it with the steering box still in the truck.

I had to use penetrating oil, a hot air gun and and extractor to take mine out when I did the SAS...

David
        '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

Am replacing both, so no need to separate. Thanks for your input anyway

Comment

Disconnect the fluid lines on top of the box first and drain the oil. Then disconnect the steering shaft flange joint, then the pitman arm and finally drop the box itself. The pitman arm is tight as your grandma`s fanny and mine would only come off by destroying it! I took mine off with the box and then took a grinder to it. When all is fitted you can look forward to a long session of bleeding of air out of the system.
            chris