removing 3lt exhaust front pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing 3lt exhaust front pipe

I'm guessing its probably a different set up to the 2:4, so i'll put the question in here.

Tommorow i'm planning on dropping the front propshaft in order to replace the auto box sump [long story-general mechanical forum]

Bushwhacker and Nifty-Nev have already furnished me with heaps of info, and Tony has supplied me with a second hand sump pan. I'm far from raring to go, but needs must!

I'm pretty sure that to clear the sump, the front section exhaust pipe will first have to come off. I'll attempt to do it without touching the zaust, but some extensive searching now leads me to believe this will be neccessary. Its this bit which i'm currently finding most daunting!

Unfastening the two nuts from the rear flange looks to be painless enough, and as per heaps of advice, i've already sprayed them with penetrating fluid. The anticipated problem for me however, lies further up the pipe. As well as being innaccesible, it also appears to be covered in heat shrouds and held together with bolts that, erm, don't look like bolts.

My searching shows them to be exhaust manifold studs, and reasearch shows that they will be highly susceptible to breaking off! The two top flanges in fact don't appear to be mounted snuggly, being slightly offset, but as i'm pretty certain its all origional, i assume its all as it should be?

If it can be broken, then be assured, i'll wring it off. I'm willing to post the consequences of that in a subseqent thread, but for now, i'll ask just this?

At the top end of that front exhaust section, quite what do I have to unbolt? Hell, I don't even know how a "stud" works, and why bolts haven't been used in their stead. Ill probably end up getting some new ones from roughtrax, but haven't ordered yet in case I end up needing to replace the pipe too!..

Any advice on getting this off, with a view of actually putting the same bit back [no angle grinders] would be appreciated, as would any comments regarding the removeability of an auto box sump with the front exhaust in situ on a 3ltr.
    Last edited by mickey; 6 July 2008, 17:27.
Working...
X