Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement radiator

Hi ,

I've recently purchased a new rad from milners for my manual kzn130. Allthough I have had no problems with over heating at all with the old rad, its beggining to weep and with the surfs reputation for over heating i did not want to take any risks. Milners say their rad is a generic auto/manual rad but it differs from my orriginal as it has the auto gearbox coolent attachments on the bottom of it. I have not fitted it yet as my concern is that with the extra attachments it looks to me like the water flow of the main rad is compromised by the auto cooling duct in the bottom part of the rad. Thats ok if you need this system but I wont be useing it as I have a manual. I'm obviously aware I can install the new rad, but whats peoples opinions, has anyone came accross this before. Should I not worry about it or should I try and source an orriginal? Or have the old rad bottom transplanted on to the new?
    Appreciate other enthusiasts opinions, cheers Jim

i got s roughtrax manual one for my manual truck
    i read on here about people having milners ones leak within a year!!
    so forked out the cash for a better quality roughtrax one
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

You've already bought your Milner's rad you say? Maybe you can get a refund as it isn't specifically for the manual truck?

The Roughtrax ones do have a better reputation, and you'll possibly be able to get one of their reconditioned exchange units at a good price. They also do new Toyota one's, so you have the options.

Many of the guys here just have weeping rads reconditioned. Was that not an easy option for you? Most of the origional rads get pin prick weeps after a time. When mine let go, I went for the recon exchange. To be fair, that too started to leak, but it was out of guarantee. In the end, I just went for the new one.

The auto box cooler has been the subject of debate. Some of the guys have recomended for us with autos to buy a manual spec rad and fit a seperate cooler. That metal bar does look as if might restrict the flow, but in six years, i've never had an over heat, but then there aren't many mountains in Norfolk.

Thing is, knowing there is a big metal pipe potentially stemming your flow, when on your manual rig its totally uneccessary, you'll probably never be entirely confident with it. For your peace of mind at least, you may be better returning it to Milners and getting a Roughtrax manual specific one instead?

I've just checked the site. I can't see a "new" manual unit, although that doesn't mean they aren't a stocked item. The manual recon exchange however is currently £185:00 plus vat.
      Last edited by mickey; 24 June 2008, 19:11.

Comment

radiators

Well it sounds by peoples responces that the Milners rads suck! To be honest I would hapily return it and buy a brand new rough trax.... my only problem is I'm now in Norway.

In the mean time I've patched the tiny hole with liquid metal on my old rad and its working fine. The milners is in the box still. So I'm thinking to either:

a) Get mine reconed when i get the time, and or maybe having the milners modified having the heat exchanger removed and it put back together. If I have mine reconed I need a spare rad in the mean time which the milners will serve the purpose.

or b) Returning the milners next time I'm in England, and buying a new rough trax which will in turn end up costing the same as having a milners and my current one reconned............just not sure when I'm in England next... we see! and thanks for the advice.

Comment

where are you in Norway?

I've been working in Trondheim for most of the time the last 6 weeks
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

My Location

Hi I'm based in Hemsedal. I work with skiing here in winter, and allthough I have a appartment in hemsedal travel around allot more in the summer, doing lots of white water kayaking. Cheers J

Comment

Working...
            X