idling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stewuk View Post
    Gonna do that asap, but i cant see that being the problem seeing at it drives fine once it clears when have pulled away from a junction, unless im sorely mistaken.
    Not saying that it definitely is the cause of the problem, but if it is quite choked, the engine ain't going to be a happy bunny. However, it is fairly pointless trying to isolate a fault until you know for a fact you have removed all basic possibilities from the equation, and the filters are about the most basic possibility there is.

Comment

ok cheers m8 , will try to get one today

Comment

Ok changed fuel filter today removed all the injectors cleaned them all thouroughly (not that they were actually that dirty anyway, put it all back together and ............ It still does the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by stewuk View Post
          Ok changed fuel filter today removed all the injectors cleaned them all thouroughly (not that they were actually that dirty anyway, put it all back together and ............ It still does the same thing

Stew,
          Does the idle problem occur every time you stop or just the first time? If you leave the engine idling long enough for it to warm up and then blip the throttle does it miss behave? I’m wondering if the idle speed is set to low or the throttle plate too closed – the twin “flying saucer” operates a secondary throttle butterfly that opens when the engine is cold –and at other odd times so this might explain why it runs OK at first start up. Idle speed can be tweaked by rotating the Throttle position sensor on the end of the throttle, the throttle close position is adjusted by the large screw on throttle stop.

Matt

Comment

Everytime i stop , i could walk out side and start it now and it will happily sit there all day idling just perfectly i can even rev it and it will still tick over all ok . Soon as i drive it 100 yds to the first junction it will almost everytime idle really badly (car shakes and belches out pure black smoke) and stall.

Comment

wouldn't normally suggest this, but what happens if you run it right up to almost the rev limiter in neutral, or at least enough to kick the turbo in for a few seconds? does it still sit back to idle nicely? or does it do as it would when driving? For whatever reason the turbo doesn't come in til a lot later in the rev range in neutral/park, so just blipping the throttle won't do it, just wondering if for some reason the fuel pump is continuing to deliver more fuel than necessary after a period of boost, or not delivering enough.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Havent tried it will go try it now brb

Comment

Ok ticks over fine just put it in neutral and held it at 4000 revs for 10 seconds then released back to idle and it stalled and coughed out black smoke.
                  Last edited by stewuk; 27 June 2008, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                    wouldn't normally suggest this, but what happens if you run it right up to almost the rev limiter in neutral, or at least enough to kick the turbo in for a few seconds? does it still sit back to idle nicely? or does it do as it would when driving? For whatever reason the turbo doesn't come in til a lot later in the rev range in neutral/park, so just blipping the throttle won't do it, just wondering if for some reason the fuel pump is continuing to deliver more fuel than necessary after a period of boost, or not delivering enough.
                    So u think the fuel pump is continuing to deliver more fuel than necessary , i doubt it is not delivering enough cause it belches out pure black smoke which im guessing is pure diesel.Does this mean the feul pump need changing or could it be something else making the fuel pump do it ?

Comment

i don't really know, it was just an idea as to why it was fine at idle or with a blip on the throttle, but as soon as it was driven it was causing problems.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

i am out of my depth here as i know little of the workings of the surfs deisel engine,however i am familiar with toyotas method of fuel control on the soarer engine(petrol) and this involves an electronic control unit which can fail,it has two settings one rich for starting, dropping to a different fuel feed percentage when correct operating temp is reached, this involves mainly a reduction in voltage to stop the pump over fueling but in the event of the ecu failing, the way to keep going is to put the pump into full voltage mode on the diagnostic socket by shorting out certain pins,mpg goes up but it does mean that the engine is useable, could you be experiencing something similar but in reverse ie continual over fueling?

Comment

Have you read the fault codes from the ECU? If so, what are they (if any)? If not, go do it now and post them.

Have you changed the timing belt?

And lastly. Yes; it could be a dribbling injector. Black smoke is caused by too little air or too much fuel...
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            Have you read the fault codes from the ECU? If so, what are they (if any)? If not, go do it now and post them.

Have you changed the timing belt?

And lastly. Yes; it could be a dribbling injector. Black smoke is caused by too little air or too much fuel...
                            After i put it back together from cleaning all injectors,egr valve inlet manifold and replacing fuel and air filters i had code no.1 took it out for a drive and it was obviously still doing it now i have code 41. A nd yes cam belt was changed but was all running perfect for a month after the change.

Comment

Code 1 is normal, code 41 is a wierd one, could be the TPS or the ECU. Stick a new TPS on and try that.

The reason I asked about the timing belt is that the timing may have slipped if it was incorrectly fitted.
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ok cheers i have another surf i can swap bits from rather than have to guess what it is and burn a hole in my pocket. Maybe its worth popping the cam belt cover off?, is there any marks to check the fuel pump against?

Hve now checked timing marks both are lined up spot on
                                Last edited by stewuk; 29 June 2008, 14:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X