Intermittent Engine Shudder and Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Engine Shudder and Shutdown

I have a 1kz-te 95model. The symptoms I am having are as follows. The engine runs perfectly otherwise no noises from the engine, turbo kicks in smoothly when needed. However there are times when on startup the engine shudders like its not getting any fuel when left in idle and if I drive it the engine will cut off when I am on the road and since its an automatic, i have to put it in park and turn the ignition off and then turn it on and it will work like a charm after that. Also if I wait for about 2 to 4 mins in idle after i startup and notice the shudders starting after waiting for this time when i drive it, it works fine after that. Any ideas on what could be causing this?? As I mentioned this is very intermittent including the shutdown otherwise the engine runs very smoothly. HELP!!!! The engine cutting off when I am on the road is too risky!!!

Hello and welcome

I'd check a few things....

Fuel pump
    Injectors
    ECU - try resetting this by disconnecting the batteries and keeping the terminals together for 5 mins (I've used cable ties)

If it doesn't do it hot, it may be gunge in the fuel filter too - once the engine is working and pumping more fuel through the system, it keeps going - but when cold it may be fighting through sludge to start with...

Just a though - wait here for the experts....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I have replaced the fuel filter yesterday and so far this morning the engine ran smoothly. Will monitor and respond later on if this fixed the issue.
      mudsurfer thanks for the advice.

Comment

i got a truck here that does similar things. try pulling up the fault codes. do a search on here for them

Comment

started doing the same thing again this morning...on to the next step of pulling the codes from the ecu. will revert once I get the time to do it this weekend.

Comment

ECU codes read normall... continuos on/off flashing. Also the surprising thing was that when I replaced the diesel fuel filter it had stopped doing this for two days and gradually came back after the third day.....so far it hasnt cut off the engine when driving, but at times in the morning the engine sort of revs on its own - I even popped open the bonnet to see if the accelerator cable moves on its own "gremlins" but nothing, all you see is the engine turn like when you increase the throttle. any assistance advise would really help ease the pain!!!

Comment

What I have done so far,
              A. I replaced the fuel pipe intake which was very loose going into the fuel filter pump section but that didnt help.

B. I replaced the fuel filter pump itself since it might have been letting fuel drop back into the tank but that still didnt fix the problem

The symptoms have been getting worse so far and now when the car is parked for 9 hours it will start with no problems but will then increase the revs and the engine shutsdown. If you look at back from the exhaust it takes out a cloud of black smoke. Then when you attempt to restart it, it restarts with no problems and then again the revs increase on its own and again black smoke out the back and the engine shutsdown. After the second time when you restart it, it cranks straight away and stays on this time and will not idle smoothly for around 2mins or so and then its fine. When driving it after this there are no shutdowns or rough idling or anything else and works 100% no issues....If someone can guide me as to what it is that exactly could be causing this it would be great help....the engineers in my area dont know much about diesel engines and will muck up the entire system.......Any more advise would be appreciated.

Comment

I'm sure I heard (it here) there's a filter on the Fuel Tank somewhere n a small one in/on the Injector Pump, that may be clogged up ....
                I could be wrong tho !!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

not being over familiar with the surf diesel engine, but am familiar with toyota petrol engines i was wondering whether the fuel pump has its own ecu which controls it, these eventually fail in normal running and are still ok in cold running but as soon as the ecu changes over the fuel is virtually cut off consiquently the vehicle either loses power or cuts out.

Comment

if the small fuel filter on the injector is clogged would that be the reason as to why it then sort of has an increase of fuel going in and then the cutoff and little black smoke?

Comment

give the little filter on the fuel pump a clean out.TonyN knows more about that one than me as he did it on Linda's truck.
                      The 3.0l as far as i remember has a filter in the pump as well as the main filter and the 2.4's don't have the pump filter
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

What I have noticed is I have to wait a bit around a minute when I start it and it works fine without these issues.......before i never had to wait this long to crank it. Normally around 20seconds before cranking and it was fine now i wait and then everthing is dandy...does this put light on what is the problem???

Comment

Check the breather filter on the fuel tank isn't blocked. The tank may be vacuum locking and starving the I.P. It may possibly be an obstruction in the fuel supply line too.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                            Hello and welcome

I'd check a few things....

Fuel pump
                            Injectors
                            ECU - try resetting this by disconnecting the batteries and keeping the terminals together for 5 mins (I've used cable ties)

If it doesn't do it hot, it may be gunge in the fuel filter too - once the engine is working and pumping more fuel through the system, it keeps going - but when cold it may be fighting through sludge to start with...

Just a though - wait here for the experts....
                            Could you explain this please?

Comment

This problem got worse and started shutting down the engine while I was on the road. I decided to open out the ECU and check if there was anything wrong with it. On closer inspection I found out that a few of the capacitors inside had leaked the liquid and caused a corrosion on the board. Hence the issue of it shuutting down and causing all these problems. I got the capacitors replaced by an electronic expert and so far even with the weather raining and it getting cold in the morning she starts back up like she used to.....hopefully this problem is fixed for now. Am on day 4 now with no worries....lets hope it stays that way!! Hopefully this will help somebody with a similar issue like what I was having.
                              Thanks for all the advice I got......

Comment

Working...
                              X