Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery problems

1st post here, any help would be great.

I managed to pick up a 96 surf a couple of years ago off ebay for £2k. I only use it to walk the dog at weekend to to move rubbish around so it does not get used often.

I runs like a dream I love it but from time to time i lose the charge in the batteries (i have 2 batteries)

Normally just jump start it give it a run and its ok.

I can still jump it but by the next morning the charge has nearly gone again.

Do i need 2 new batteries or could there be another problem.

If i need 2 batteries what type do i need.

Sorry im useless at this.

You'll probably find that one of the batteries is knackered and is draining the good battery as they are linked together.

Remove the positive cables and get them tested to see which is the duff.

Some other relevant threads at the bottom of this page.

p.s. Welcome on board newbie, enjoy your stay.

Comment

be best to replace both batteries, make sure they both have same output and give you 700 cold cranking amps in total. Hello and welcome to the forum by the way.
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

cheers guys...how do i test which battery is duff or shall i just buy 2 new ones.

Comment

you can multi meters from about about £7 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...meter&doy=17m6
          just disconnect the battery terminal put the black probe on the negative and the red on positive, turn dial to measure the voltage, should give about 13-14 volts

Comment

that great i take it i will have to jump start it first put a charge in the batteries then disconnect them to see which one or both loses the charge??

Comment

Originally posted by colinadams View Post
              that great i take it i will have to jump start it first put a charge in the batteries then disconnect them to see which one or both loses the charge??
              nah, do the test first. Then you'll know from start which has no charge. Unlees you need the truck to drive to shop lol

Comment

Garages that sell batteries give free battery checks..

Comment

i will nip too maplins....

Comment

A multimeter is ok if you want to check voltage but useless in determining battery condition. Even a dud battery can register normal voltage. Load testing is needed to really check the batterys ability to hold a charge,

Nev

Comment

Load testing is needed to really check the batterys ability to hold a charge,
                      how do i do that then???

Comment

Originally posted by colinadams View Post
                        how do i do that then???
                        Take it to you local friendly garage, battery seller, or even Halfrauds.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                        X