HELP ! rear window problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ! rear window problems.

The rear window on my 3.0 L 93 surf wont open. When i try to open it i can hear the relay clicking but no opening. I have took the interior cowl off to have a look at what could be the problem but im stumped. I have been told the motors go on the rear window, however this has happened before in the winter and normally sorts itself out when it gets warmer.

I f i have to replace the motor does anyone have a clue how to get it off, i ahve been looking at it today and looks like you have to take the whole mechanism out to get to the motor. Is there an easier way ?

The car has stood for about 3 month.

Much appreciate any help, this forum is always great for tips.

tailgate, or one of the rear sides?

First thing to establish is whether it's the motor that's at fault, the switch, the wiring, or the relays.

Normally speaking, if the motor's at fault you will still b e able to hear the motor turning but the window doesn't move.

If it was the switch at fault you wouldn't get the relay clicking.

If the relays are at fault i believe you would normally lose one direction off one switch at a time, ie) down off the interior switch stops, but it would still go down on the key, and up off of both switch and key.

The wires beteen the tailgate and body begin to break up and split from constant flexing where they enter the tailgate / door, i reckon this could be your problem, unless you can hear the motor running?
    If this is the case you need to either replace or repair the broken wires.

The motors can be removed without taking out the mechanism, if it's the tailgate it's an 8mm spanner, the doors i think it's a t20 or T25 torx bit, but i could be wrong. 3 bolts/screws for each motor.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

its the tailgate. thanx for the tips. it sounds like from what you said its the wiring gonna check it out this afternoon. thanx.

to be continued....

Comment

I've just replaced the motor in my tailgate, it's a bit of an awkward job, but not impossible.

My method:

Open tailgate, remove carpeted trim, unscrew metal cover, and remove plastic sheet (if it's still there).

There are 4 bolts that hold the mechanism into the tailgate. Remove the upper two, and loosen the lower 2. I them raised the mechanism up, and propped it on the handle of a screwdriver.

There should now be more than enough room to get you hand underneath the mechanism, and undo the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place. It's an 8mm spanner. If you have one of them ratchet spanners (not a socket set) it's dead easy (I don't, yet), otherwise it's just a case of slowly working the spanner a 1/4 turn at a time. It's a good idea to put a bit of cardboard or something in first to protect the glass.

It shouldn't take much more than 20-30 minutes to get the motor out. You can then test it without having the strain of running the actual window too, which should give you an idea of what's wrong.

I got my replacement motor off a guy on ebay who seems to be selling reconditioned motors. £81 all in. He doesn't have any at the moment, but does seem to sell a few: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZpaullyp1

If it turns out to be the relays, I have a replacement relay box that I can let you have for a consideration of beer tokens.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

thanx for that. problem is I can't get the window down, im looking at it at the moment to see if there is anyway I can get it down manually. if your motor was bust how did you get the window down?

Comment

If you can hear the motor turning, you may be able to encourage it down with your hands whilst getting someone else to push the down dutton inside, or holding the key turned to the down position.

If not then it's a case of climbing into the boot through the side door and doing it from inside, it's not that bad a job. Just watch as you remove the motor that the glass does not drop, it might be worth either jamming the mechanism with something or just propping up the bottom of the window before you start.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

also turn rear window wiper on then off then try window, as i stripped my rear window down
              because mine didnt work but it was cus the rear window wiper was not in its
              parked position even tho i dont have a wiper arm on

Comment

Originally posted by BIG G View Post
                thanx for that. problem is I can't get the window down, im looking at it at the moment to see if there is anyway I can get it down manually. if your motor was bust how did you get the window down?
                Luckily my window still just about worked, it was very slow and occasionally required a bit of manual assistance.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

yipee. all sorted. thanx to everyone for your help. big thanx to SURFER as the problem was the windscreen wiper not being in the complete off position. great stuff, saved me a lot of trouble and money. hilux forum to the rescue once more.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG G View Post
                    yipee. all sorted. thanx to everyone for your help. big thanx to SURFER as the problem was the windscreen wiper not being in the complete off position. great stuff, saved me a lot of trouble and money. hilux forum to the rescue once more.
                    Of course we come to the rescue, now how about supporting your local forum and subscribing

You too can then have the warm fluffy feeling of helping the forum out, and a pretty little blue star

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                    X