tiny hole in radiater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiny hole in radiater

Hi I have a tiny pin hole in the radiater near the cap. When the engine is hot you can see tiny bubbles hear. The car runs totaly fine on long drives with no signs of over heating. The temp guage once warmed up allways stays more or less in the centre of the dial, irrelevent of weather your doing 40 or 80. Do people think its a problem with the hole, should i buy a new radiater, have hole soldered or use rad weld. Also is it normal for the guage to more or less allways sit in the middle of the guage? Dont want to over heat the car so thaught I'd see peoples views.

Also this is my first car with an oil pressure guage, and the car runs fine. The guage does seam to move in relation to engine strain, at running speeds allways between the L and H points. However sometimes at low speeds it sits just on the first line after the L.... and it never go's all the way up to the line near the H ... I Would say it hangs mostly imbetween the line just after the L and two thirds of the way to the next line. Is this normal or should I worry about low oil pressure.

Cheers for the help Jim

Toyota radiator top tanks get very brittle. My advice....pull it out and get a new top tank fitted along with a good clean. Cheaper than a new engine if it splits open.

Nev
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 30 May 2008, 09:48.

Comment

Oil pressure sounds fairly normal to me. And the temp guage sounds ok, they sit just about central maybe a fraction lower over a temperature range of about 30 degrees, by the time they move from there the coolant temp is already very high, but the reasoning is not to panic the average motorist with temperature fluctuations. There's a fairly well documented modification you can do to the gauge to make it far more accurate, but the fluctuations are sometimes scary.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Re

My rad was the same.

I bought some of that "sets like steel" putty stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...422c42ffee37ab

Make sure the surface is clean and "roughed up", mix it up, slap it on and smooth it out!

Paint!

Its still hard as steel and the rad is 3 years older!

You can get them soldered but I reckon my way is better!

The stuff is amazing, I have used it literally dozens of times for all sorts of jobs!

I have even repaired laptops with it!

###### great stuff!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
          My rad was the same.

I bought some of that "sets like steel" putty stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...422c42ffee37ab

Make sure the surface is clean and "roughed up", mix it up, slap it on and smooth it out!

Paint!

Its still hard as steel and the rad is 3 years older!

You can get them soldered but I reckon my way is better!

The stuff is amazing, I have used it literally dozens of times for all sorts of jobs!

I have even repaired laptops with it!

###### great stuff!

Gary
          think i will go to halfords to but it as it's cheaper

Only £5.99+ p&p

(Sells for £4.49 at Halfords!)

Comment

Rad hole

Hi Jim
            Hope the journey went well the other week.
            I just burnt a small pin hole six hole in my rad and sealed it with the stuff from Halfords chemical metal as suggested on here. Took ten mins and has set solid and not leaked again. apparently you can sometimes buy it in Tescos too.

Comment

Working...
            X