Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual to auto

Hello,

It might sound stupid but... Is it possible to swap an auto tranny in a manual 3.0TD Surf?

Here in Spain we never saw auto 4Runners, but I love automatic trucks hehe

The "problem" is that my 4Runner has a 1KZ-T engine, without ECU, so I don't know how the gearbox will work...

Also, how the auto Surfs work?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

David
    Last edited by Blizzard; 28 May 2008, 15:34.
    '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

You will need the ECU for the auto box, and I don't think you'd get it to match the engine you have....so you may be a bit stuck...
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Hello,

My friend who is building my Toy is in Alicante where there're many English people living. He has a customer with a 2L-TE Surf auto. He said me that he only sees two wires in the auto transmission, one for the speed sensor and another for the reverse gear lights.

He's studying also the manuals but seems at the moment that the swap is possible. I'd have to source from the UK an auto trans, the converter, flywheel, bellhousing and the big brake pedal...

Someone with an auto 3.0TD can say me how does it works? I mean, it's nice for offroading and so? Now I've 4.88 gears, 35's, rebuilt injectors and pump, intercooler and big SS exhaust and the truck it's a lightning...

I'm thinking of this swap because I'm wanting to travel more and further each time, specially in Africa and I wouldn't want my clutch failing in the Sahara...

Also, it has been 7 months since I drived my Toy each day and I'm used now to driving a semi auto car, a Smart Fortwo haha

David

Comment

Dave as discussed thru ebay i have also got the fly wheel on the block as well as the torque converter etc but i will need to get a brake pedal for you to send out if courier is cheap enough for it.If you want to send me a list of parts you want then i can get it all sent at once but like i said i'll need to source a few bits as my breakers are now gone but i will be getting another soon hopefully.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks,

The pedal isn't so important at the moment, at first I want to see if the swap is possible and economically doable...

I've seen a kit in the US for the A340 transmission so you can drive it like a sequential transmission car, this is controlling the shifting up and down. If I end doing this swap I'll be putting a kit like this because the car I drive daily it's a sequential and it's sweet.

David

Comment

Also Dave did you notice that in the ebay ad i did state there were 2 sensors missing from the trans box.I am going to try and weight the complete unit later and then get some prices for you
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I noticed but I suppose I'll be able to source them easily. I can get Toyota parts of any model at the dealer, bad thing it's the price hehehe

David

Comment

Maybe this would help?......

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

Comment

if you swap in an auto tranny - would you sell your manual?
                  is it a R150F?
                  how much would you want for it?

Comment

Hi Peci, yes, my tranny is a R150F.

I might sell it, but first I want to make sure all the swap has been successful and so.

Here in Spain the salvage yards use to sell the gearboxes for something like 600€.

Do you've an auto 4Runner you want to swap or yours is manual?

David

Comment

i have a hilux and mine is manual. but the transmission is a g58 and the new engine, the 1kz does not fit to this tranny. i will need a R150f. but i would need it within the next 2 weeks.

Comment

Mmmm... G58, that's with gear driven T-Case, could interest me (Duals!)...

I don't think I'll have my truck running with the new gearbox in two weeks but if you're still interested let me know.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X