Do Radiator Bubbles = cylinder head ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Karl I need all the help I can get

I just had a sugestion from another forum I am a member of.... I thought this was genius and it put my mind at ease.

He wrote...
    First off confirm for yourself what the garage has told you by putting removing radiator cap and putting a condom in its place. If the condom blows up your head or gasket ar FUBAR because it means your getting gasses in the system.

I wish he said before I took it for a test

It didn't inflate on tick over but the foam did slowly start to ooze into it, then I reved it and it did inflate a little but when I lowered the revs it sucked back in.

I think I will flush and fit a new genuine thermostat and rad cap. watch this space...

Karl.
    http://www.justgiving.com/teambullet2

Comment

Just to warn you on the 3.0 litre the thermostat is a right £$^$%^%$^ to get to.
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by killrag1 View Post
        Well I was fearing the worst....

Back from the garage and I was convinced it was going to tell me the worst.

results were.

Chemical Check = No evidance of combustion gasses in cooling system.

Pressure test = No External leaks.

He said there is nothing wrong and the foaming is probbably some additive either rad weld or rad flush. he advised that renewing the cooling fluid along with a new stat and rad cap may help, he did say it may cause the radiator or matrix to leak agian but at least I'll find out why the additive was there.

I must admit I havent got around to swaping the rad cap and stat due to work commitments. but I have this week off so will keep it posted.
        If the previous owner had used radweld it might also block up a cracked head for a short time which is why there was not combustion gasses detected, you can get cooling systems gas testers on E-bay. My cracked head did not manifest as white smoke/steam or water in oil/oil in water or loss of water. It just used to pop a pinhole in the radiator every now and them
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
        X