Do Radiator Bubbles = cylinder head ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Radiator Bubbles = cylinder head ?

First off I'll introduce myself (first post). My name is Karl and have just got a nice shiney surf for my wife. I am quite into 4x4's but have limited knowledge about surfs. I was under the impression that 3ltr's are not prone to head failures so went for a 3ltr.

I got it from a famous auction site and upon collection it all checked out and looked a nice motor so handed over the cash and went on my way.

A good few days later I notice water dripping underneath from what turned out to be the expansion bottle.

What appears to be happening is a lot of gas/bubbles are pressurising the coolant and forcing out the water, also with the rad cap removed a lot of foam forms and oozes out. I know It points to a head or head gasket failure but none of the other usual signs are apparant (emulsified oil, water vapour in exhaust) so I just want to make sure before I start fixing it.

I should also add the truck performs very well with no sign of overheating on a long journey (despite loosing a bit of water), the engine sounds very sweet and delivers all the power a big truck should.

Has anyone had any of the same symptoms on a 3ltr and what did it turn out to be?
    Last edited by killrag1; 27 May 2008, 16:59. Reason: more info
    http://www.justgiving.com/teambullet2

try flushing the coolant system and refilling, and checking to make sure you have no air locks, also replace rad cap and thermostat

Comment

I will have a go but I think the previouse owner may already tried that.

It has a new rad cap and it spanner marks on the thermostat housing bolts.

Comment

check your heaters are both blowing hot air.

it could also be a blocked pipe

Comment

Originally posted by killrag1 View Post
          I will have a go but I think the previouse owner may already tried that.

It has a new rad cap and it spanner marks on the thermostat housing bolts.
          Maybe, but it's still a sight cheaper to follow Sledge's advice before ragging the engine apart. Flush the system thoroughly, refill and replace those two.

Comment

Point taken. I'll pop down the autofactors tomorrow.

Both heaters blow nice and hot.

Just to check... my rad cap has 0.9 stamped on it. is that the right pressure?

Comment

Sounds like head gasket to me, leaking between two cylinders probably. If it was the head there would be white smoke/steam from the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by killrag1 View Post
                Just to check... my rad cap has 0.9 stamped on it. is that the right pressure?
                Yup. 0.9 bar or 13/14 PSI.

Comment

Have you had the cooling system pressure tested? I'm thinking you could have tiny holes in the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Yup. 0.9 bar or 13/14 PSI.
                    Cheers

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    Have you had the cooling system pressure tested? I'm thinking you could have tiny holes in the radiator.
                    I was planning to have a pressure test done as it may reveal/eliminate any other faults. just need to get it booked it in.

Comment

Hi Karl. Told ya the guys on here are always here to help didnt i (hi everyone, been a while) Take the advice on board and go the cheapest way first mate ya never know. Let me know if its the head and me and Drew will be down to lend a hand

Comment

Hi Phil. Yep you were right very helpfull on here.

I am booked in the garage for the tests on Monday so will take it from there.

Rad cap and T/stat are ready for flushing and fitting on saturday.

Comment

these symptoms are exactly the same as my 3.0 surf had ,i did all the checks that the forum advised but im afraid, as probably you are that the symptoms are pointing to a new cylinder head gasket , or new cylinder head[ which mine needed], but you may be lucky and find that it just needs burping, but don't get your hopes up ---Karl
                          anyone seen the plot

Comment

Well I was fearing the worst....

Back from the garage and I was convinced it was going to tell me the worst.

results were.

Chemical Check = No evidance of combustion gasses in cooling system.

Pressure test = No External leaks.

He said there is nothing wrong and the foaming is probbably some additive either rad weld or rad flush. he advised that renewing the cooling fluid along with a new stat and rad cap may help, he did say it may cause the radiator or matrix to leak agian but at least I'll find out why the additive was there.

I must admit I havent got around to swaping the rad cap and stat due to work commitments. but I have this week off so will keep it posted.

Comment

I will keep my fingers crossed for you ,and i hope that it is just an additive that is causing the problem, let me know when you have done your flushing of the radiator, good luck, you have the same name as me , i hope your luck is better----Karl
                              anyone seen the plot

Comment

Working...
                              X